At what age did you start using Linux?

ilia_kr

At what age did you start using linux?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. At what age did you start using linux?

• ... - 12
    • 13 - 18
    • 19 - 23
    • 24 - 34
    • 35 - ...

Hi, once again i had an argue with my friend about Linux. He claims, that linux is popular among people in 19-23 ages. They are young, impulsive and feel rebellious, they angry with no reason at M$ - that is why they use linux. I partially agree with him, except that i'm not angry at MS.

I also think that linux must be presented in front of youth (under 15) - in order to drow attention and possibly make it more common.

I installed my first distro at 20.

What do you think?

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

I started on Linux at age 67yrs with redhat.

Had only started on computers 18months earlier with win98, tried nt and hated it, went win2000-pro and have kept it fully updated, but don't actually use it since I started backwith mandrake 8.0. I have stayed with Mandrake/Mandriva ever since.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I started on Linux at age 67yrs with redhat.

that is why you are my 'poster child' when i am advocating linux. whenever people start to say linux is difficult i would usually reply with "that may be but i know of a 70-yr old retiree who was able to switch and use linux daily. that must have been one hell of a transition..."

the last one is delivered with a very wide grin... :lol2:

oh, i installed mandy 8.0 when i was 22...

ciao!

I started around 15/16, with a bootable floppy of linux - very basic, got to a command prompt and became thoroughly confused. This was when I first got access to the internet. Around 18 is when I started using it on a regular basis.

I think I was 19 or 20 with Mandrake 9.1, my sister had advised it to me when she at that time was using Redhat. She later switched to Mandrake too.

Got fed up with Windows, everything looked shallow in it by then and I wanted to test deeper waters with more options and prettier looks for my artsy soul.

I won't say what age I was :P but I have an 18 year old daughter that has been using Mandrake/Mandriva for two years and loves it.

I got interested in linux cause I was fed up with Windows. I like to really customize my OS's and my options were so limited and I hated programs being built in (like IE) that I didn't want to use. So four years ago I went to Best Buy and bought the cheapest distro there which turned out to be Mandrake 8.1. I used Mandy for two years and then switched to Gentoo two years ago. Like I said, I really like to customize my OS's cause I'm really, really picky. (My husband says I'm a pain in the arse :lol: ).

Me, at 24, well technically, I have only been using it for 6 months. It was just out of interest really, but then again look at what curiosity did to the cat.......

Started off with Mandriva, still use it as my main distro while I get to grips with gentoo, well when I say get to grips, I kinda won half the battle, the ultimate goal is to know enough about what I am doing with it to be confident using it 24/7!

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

I started with Redhat 6.1 right after it came out. I guess that would be about 5-6 years ago, so I was 47-48. Switched to Mandrake when 8.0 was released. That was also when I got serious about Linux and went to using Linux full-time because I just can't take M$ business practices and 8.0 was released about the same time as WinXP. When XP was about to come out, it was clear to me I had to get off the M$ bandwagon before it was too late. 53 now and still using Mandriva. Can't think of a reason to change.

I, like AussieJohn, started linux at age 67- six months ago. I have found linux to be a good way to keep the brain active, Windows only offers use not mental exercise. I have tried several versions, all installed on external USB hard drives. Now on disk and being used- Mandriva 2006, PCLinuxOS .92, SimplyMepis 3.4-1.rc1, Kanotix, Fedora Core 3 & 4,

My first computer was a IBM clone purchased about 1980 made by Columbia Computer. Since then I have bought 4 different brands and put together another 12 from parts. The company I sold before retiring had 4 of my computers running when I left. The first computer I ever had anything to do with was a PDP with manual switch input to program. Lots of toggle switches to set and a push button to input. Magnet core storage. It is a lot easier today.

Jim

My fist install was slackware 2.0 back in the 90's (95?)sometime.

I remember being proud of installing it then having nothing to do. I even installed X quite a big deal back then.

I installed it out of curiousity, I was using Solaris at work...

strangely I then dropped it for ages and started again with Solarisx86 ... but IU coiuldn't get Xsun running in a decent mode and ended up using XFree instead. Then I figured, heck why not just install Linux... and I got RH5.1 on a magazine disk.

Well then came RH7.0 and an enormous disaster on the glibc ... ack... Oracle wouldn't install and I needed it for development and .. I switched to Mandrake.

Mandrake gave me many happy years ..