internet connection problems

doody

Dear user group and Arctic

Thank you for your help with my problem installing Mandriva L. Edition 2005.

Taking out the printer lead did help with installation, cancelling the error messages I used to get. However, I still can't connect to the internet. Everything seems fine at first but then it says....

'The system does not seem to be connected to the internet

Try to reconfigure your connection'

I try all the ports it asks that the modem (Intel® 536EP Modem) may be connected to but none work.

I am a newbie to Linux and computers generally and I really want to break free of Windows and start using Linux. I've tried Mandrake 9.0 in the past and I never got that working either! So I'm fed up to put it mildly. I also have the problem that I have to install Windows on my PC just to get onto the internet and this forum. My PC can't handle both operating systems at the same time so I have uninstall then install. I appreciate any help that you can give me.

Gratefully Doody

Moved to Networking by theYinYeti. Welcome on board

just one question? how big is your harddrive? if it is bigger than 4 gb it should be easy to set up a dualboot system. that would save you a lot of time reinstalling everthing again and again. ;) (even with a 4gb hdd, you could create e.g. two partitions with 2 gb each., one for win, one for linux,until everything gets solved and you can completely switch to mandy)

The BEST possible advice I can give you is :- . Get rid of the winmodem. They are not worth the trouble even if you spend hours and days getting them to work and they are still totally unreliable. I have been down that path in the past. Frankly they are rubbish no matter who makes them, and I am not afraid to say so.

In practical terms, an external modem is not expensive no matter where you live when compared with the trouble you have with winmodems.

Cheers. John.

Take AussieJohns advice. PCI modems and even winmodems can be made to work under linux, but it is BRUTAL! ........especially if you are new. ( I have done both) I agree about external serial hdwr modems, but why wait for ebay?

External serial port modems (try to steer clear of USB modems) can be found at your local thrift shop for less than $10. ( I bought mine for the kids PCs at $2 each).

They require no drivers and generally have faster data transfer speed than many internal PCI modems. Post here for help on setting these up. There is lots of help in these forums

good luck!

Edited by Trio3b