Mandrivalinux 10.2 LE

fahd

I would like to begin my this short article with a simple question. How many times have you been changing or returned to your favourite linux distro. For me the favourite linux distros are Mandrake and SuSE. Of course this means nothing. I don't like to talk about SuSE linux here because I wrote my opinion in the suse forum. No doubt that Mandriva Linux is a good linux stuff, but let us frankly talk about some very important things. mandrivalinux 10.2 did not provide us a version downward compatibility. As I have already mentioned last year that, the developers have not enough time to test their upcoming versions, thus the resault is very apparent. The sum of the errors and bugs make the linux folks disgausted and hopeless, the next step is to change their linux distro and the game starts again. I will not abandon the hope wishing that Conectiva will force Mandrake to get the right way and stop releasing x, x+1, x+2 with no CONCEPT. I repeat it again Mandrivalinux is very good distro, but this is not so enough to allure the folks the whole world to use it.Not only the home users, administrators but even the local govts. In fine we all hope more success for this distro.

Fahd

There will always be bugs in software so errors in 2005LE are to be expected. That said some errors are more annoying than other errors and it all depends on what applications you are using. I can't stand it that Freevo is broken in 2005LE. However that is not a reason to go back to 10.1 or even switch distros. I like to play around with my PC and I'm always hoping that someday I will be able to fix it :D

i tried le2005 once but soon went back to 10.1 oe. stable, 90% bugfree, can do everything i want it to do. and if i need some newer versions of some apps, i simply boot my ubuntu distro.

i guess i will update to 2006 someday, but i will skip 2005.

p.s: my favorite distro? don't know which one that is. :D

Edited by arctic

I upgraded, and found everything to work OK, except that my Intel graphics won't work. The drivers Intel have on their website will not install, saying that agpgart has not been compiled into the kernel, however it is there, loaded and running.

The drivers installed fine on 10.1 OE and worked a treat. Since the upgrade to LE2005, I have lost the ability to run any OpenGL based software/screensaver. I tested with Frozen Bubble, and that won't even run!

First off, i am new to Linux. I installed 10.1. It installed fine....I had it for a week or two, and no problems really. I decided to try 10.2 - installed fine and had it running for a week or two. But all of a sudden, things are going haywire and i didnt do anything!!!

This will be the 3rd (if I do it) reinstall. As much as i want to love Linux and be Windows free - I dont know if thats gonna happen in the near future.

I'll admit that i have to reinstall windows every 6 months because it gets so slow that its unusable. But I dont have to reinstall it (or spend hours fixing things) every week. My last error, which has me baffled - did it all on its own. I didnt do anything!! It was working fine, then just quit.

I dunno if I should go back to 10.1 and hope that I dont have to keep fixing everything, or unfortunately stay with windows. Just getting a bit frustrated - I am trying my hardest to use Linux!!!!!

I have tried practically every distro around, but I loved few of them...

Namely Mandy (since I got fed up with my purchased SuSE 3 years ago), Slackware since one year ago, which is dogz blx but its age shows at times, and finally Arch Linux, which is what I use and will use in the future, unless I switch to a 64-bit machine.

freevo's broken in 10.2? How? I just started playing with it last night (since mythtv hates me, don't ask...) and it seems OK. I do run Cooker, though. What's wrong with it in 10.2?

I haven't really gone away from MDK since I started using it four years ago. My laptop ran SUSE for a while because I couldn't install MDK (odd, hardware-related issues), but that was back around SUSE 7.3 / 8.0. I keep meaning to take a look at Ubuntu but I never get the time...

Oh, I see. Looks like a thorny one, that, if I'm reading the comment right we can't do a lot about it till freevo fix it. I get a similar message on my console but I can still watch TV; I haven't really got to a stage where I have recording working yet (I'm still trying to persuade my card to record from line-in, sigh).

I'm currently running 2005LE and am thoroughly pissed off with it.

I do admit that for the main part it works and feels nicer than 10.1 (can't quantify or qualify this, it just does) also my adsl modem now starts from boot (after a bit of buggering about) however my usb graphics tablet just will not work (unless I restart X) whereas it did before and my menus keep disappearing to be replaced by a menu that does not work. I have searched for answers but cannot seem to get either working right and these bugs (for me) out weigh the positives.

I am so fed up with this that I am about to try a different distro.

I think what irks most is that I know I am not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, my requirements are very modest, neither do I think of myself as stupid (merely average :D ) but that is how this version has made me feel.

Leo

Guest Sophgoat

I updated last night - from 10.1 to LE2005, download version which doesn't include anything proprietary - on my laptop. I usually do a fresh install, but just for fun decided to update. It went phenomenally welll - I'm impressed. Unlike both 10 and 10.1, I didn't have to do any tweaking at all - it literally just worked "out of the box." Got my card reader, my camera, everything. That's a rarity for me. So kudos to the developers.

On the other hand, I'm not a hardcore software/hardware guy. I don't code, don't game, don't watch t.v. I'm a journalist - I want a good office suite, good browser/email client, a few simple games to pass the time when phone calls aren't returned (tux kart and tux racer are just my speed - tux racer didn't race in 10.1, both does in LE2005) and music. So I'm not asking a lot - but I also feel that what I want is what a lot of so-called regular users want.

As far as my favorite distro, it remains Mandriva. I lost my linux virginity with 8.2 and haven't really looked back. I've installed a lot of stuff on my basement computer - Debian, SuSe, Slackware, Feather, Damn Small Linux, Ubuntu, Mepis and more - but Mandriva seems to be my life partner as far as work and daily use goes. It's not that it's perfect - it's not. Mandriva seems commercially awkward - but I don't mind that. To me, it's a good intuitive blend of applications and flexibility. And I think the community here is one of the best in the Linux world. I've gotten so much information just by searching old posts. That's essential.

Anyway, my two cents are two thumbs up.

Guest Adriano1

Leo, I have experienced (still do) severe problems with the menus, but only in GNOME. Namely, the menu would be replaced by a stub everytime something installed added its entry to it. Solutions: restart gnome, use KDE (worked for me, but I don't like it) or kill the menu and restart it. Yes, it's as unprofessional as it sounds. I've seen and posted to relevant bugzilla entries, but nothing seems to be solved yet.