Mandrake 9.0 RC-3 is Out

DragonMage

i think they should take longer before releasing new versions, because they're always filled with bugs and a new one comes out 1 month later making the other obsolete. So people who are on dialup like me and don't have the ability to download .iso images have to spend money somewhere cheapbytes, mandrake themselves, or wal mart or somewhere else and buy the software when its all buggedup then to have another one come out like i said one month later it just sucks and wastes our money. Thats why I currently have red hat 7.3 because i didn't want to spend any on 8.2 after i had just bought 8.1 and stuff like that even though Mandrake is still my fav distro.

ncb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:22 am Post subject:

i think they should take longer before releasing new versions, because they're always filled with bugs and a new one comes out 1 month later making the other obsolete. So people who are on dialup like me and don't have the ability to download .iso images have to spend money somewhere cheapbytes, mandrake themselves, or wal mart or somewhere else and buy the software when its all buggedup then to have another one come out like i said one month later it just sucks and wastes our money. Thats why I currently have red hat 7.3 because i didn't want to spend any on 8.2 after i had just bought 8.1 and stuff like that even though Mandrake is still my fav distro.

/quote

It comes out every 6 months, not every month, as was mentioned thats how it goes for a bleeding edge distro.

I have been hanging out for 9 for about 3 months now

really want that open office 1.0.1 integrated with kde3 and gnome 2.

without having to go to the trouble of installing it all, as i want to install 9 on about 12 boxes.

Mozilla 1.1 is good but i always use the newest semi stable moz which is currently 1.2a(very stable - very good btw for me anyway). but i just need to change that on the boxes that i use not the rest.

I think all this betatesting is producing better mandrakes which is acceptable to me :)

Doesn't matter because Mandrake said already that they plan to release once a year from now on. I'm sure that's what they said... This means more people will have to learn urpmi using external sources... Geez... Oh well.

Either that or the return of MandrakeFreq. I think the freq disks are a godo idea since with marcello doing kernel 2.4, it seems that it will take months before a new stable kernel 2.4 version is out, so you don't need to upgrade the core things that much.

http://new.mandrakestore.com/mdkinc/index....ANG_=en#GOTO_73

That's basically Freq in a new name :)

Anyway, I think that since the mandrake releases so fast, (every 6 months), people just don't think for Freq if they want to keep their systems up to date, all they need is just get the newest ISO version of Mandrake instead. Now that Mandrake plans to slow down their releases to once a year, Freq could be a doable thing again.

Might be my imagination, (except I do not have one) but I think that RC3 is compiling faster than RC2. And no errors as yet. I'll try some others that generated errors on RC2.