desktops - kde stability

aze

Hi all!

I noted KDE is not so stable as gnome. For example: I started xmms and play a mp3 at kde. The system stopped responding but mp3 still playing. Then I logout (ctrl+alt+bksp) and login again on kde and the mp3 still playing!! :D Then I forced xmms to close (ctrl+esc) and I tried to run quake3 (just for check) but it opened a full black screen and start nothing...

Since I've been learning linux mostly problems I had was working in kde (mainly with sound).

My question is: do you know a graphical desktop have a cool interface, customizable and stable?

I heard about some "3ddesktop" but i don know how is it.

It may not be kde's fault that it hangs your xmms playing. Anyway, the ctrl-alt-backspace may kill the desktop part of kde, but there are still something running that may not be connected to X such as arts and others.

Besides, which version of KDE are you using? I am using KDE 3.1 RC5 right now and other than a bit of reorientation (they change a bit of where they put the options and how to do stuffs) it's quite stable. I heard that KDE 3.0.4 for mandrake rpms are stable as a rock, it may have the bugfix that you are looking for.

3ddesktop refers to a program that switches virtual desktops. It is really cool, but it is not itself a desktop manager. It can be used in kde and gnome, and I think fluxbox, probly others as well.

I find kde stable (compared to winfiasco) but it is a heavy handed gui; many like to play with simple desktops and enhance them. I understand that fluxbox is a good one to customize. Do a search on the board, and you will find a lot of info.

Thank you guys! Your opinions are usefull! I don't know so much about Linux's desktops but your comments help me tho understand them.

I know I could look for some manual about those desktops, but I'm sure those manuals won't have some lines like "try this one" "this is unstable" "the other one is cool". Well, for now I must admit I like gnome more than kde. I always dreamed a 100% OpenGL full featured based desktop. Anyway I must admit: any linux based desktop looks better than explorer.exe :D

aze >>>

that quake3 problem you had... well that is just the sound initialization which tends to take one hell of a long time in KDE. I have the same problem. Sometimes it takes upto 5 minutes.

Quake3 wont have that problem in the other WM's. when I want to game i start Enlightenment with Xtart.

quake3 and quake1 for that matter is much more happier under a different WM

I don't know were's the real problem with KDE. I just know that what I want to run I can do under Gnome and if there is a problem Gnome will show it. But in kde simply don't work!!! Some apps I try to run under kde simply doesn't run or will crash the kernel

aze >>>

that quake3 problem you had... well that is just the sound initialization which tends to take one hell of a long time in KDE. I have the same problem. Sometimes it takes upto 5 minutes.

Quake3 wont have that problem in the other WM's. when I want to game i start Enlightenment with Xtart.

quake3 and quake1 for that matter is much more happier under a different WM

Im not sure about that, if your sound system is locked up, quake3 will lockup for sure when you try to run it. Nothing to do with kde.

Could it be a hardware thing? I used KDE and ML8.2 and ML9.0 in three different machines, and they have all been rock stable. Run RTCW and Quake II without a hitch. It never crashed on me. In seven months I only used XKill once (other than the times when I was just testing it).