Installing Gentoo the easy way

If you don't want to take the time to do a gentoo install from stage1, you can test VidaLinux out.

Downloads & ScreenShots

Images for AMD-xp, P4 & i686 isos.

As reported on NewsForge and other web sites late last week, a new Gentoo-based distribution called Vidalinux Desktop OS has made its debut. The distribution is made by the same developers that have created a port of Red Hat's Anaconda installer for Gentoo Linux, creating an installation CD which makes installing Gentoo Linux as fast and simple as installing Red Hat/Fedora. It is no longer necessary to spend hours following the otherwise excellent Gentoo installation manual; with Vidalinux you will have Gentoo Linux up and running in less than an hour.

This is not to say that everybody should use this method to install Gentoo; in fact the Gentoo installation method, if started from "Stage 1", is highly educational and most recommended to all users who are interested in learning about Linux internals. But for those who just want to have a working Gentoo Linux, or for those who have installed Gentoo before, but no longer wish to go through the tedious installation process again, Vidalinux is certainly a great choice. Once installed, the system can be recompiled, upgraded and maintained in the same fashion as any Gentoo installation.

Vidalinux comes with kernel 2.4.20, XFree86 4.3.0, and GNOME 2.6.0 as its preferred desktop. More surprisingly, the ISO images is complete with most multimedia applications, RealPlayer, Flash Player, browser plugins and other desktop applications that make the operating system instantly useable without any further tweaking. While the latest release is labelled as "beta" and some more work is still needed on the Anaconda port, Vidalinux appears to be a solid distribution already. Three ISO images, compiled for AMD, Pentium 4, and i686 processors respectively, are currently available for download via BitTorrent.

I put it on a test box at work, just finished installing and it is pretty nice, I'll throw a screenshot up in the screenshot thread l8r.

I still prefer stage1, but i'm leaving this position and it doesn't matter what i do with this box because I have to give it back in 2 weeks anyway.

:D

EDIT: WOW, with out doing to much, I posted before starting it up. :lol: boots right to gdm, logins in to gnome w/ gdesklets already setup. pretty nice. Lot faster on this 733 than fc2 was, that is for sure.

Anyway, I still like stage1, but this will be nice for noobies or someone in a hurry to get it up and going.

HAVE FUN

Edited by cybrjackle

Couldn't get the x server to boot! The system thought it successfully booted, but i could get no where! So, I am in stage 2 right now. Finished the bootstrap last night!

Not trying to brag or anything, but a stage 1 & 2 on my "baby" takes about an hour and a half combined ;-)

:cheeky:

Ok, i'm bragging :thumbs:

BUT, trying doing it on Sun Ultra 10, couple days <---feels like anyway.

I emerged the system and compiled the kernel before I left for work! Could have had the whole thing by tonight if I had the time!