replace MS Word 97

jeanrev

Hi all,

I want to replace my favorite word processor "MSWord 97" with a Linux word processor

I need something simple and user friendly that can suppress automatically the extra linefeeds I got when I copy a web

page and paste it into Kword for example

I would appreciate Kword to do the job for me really so that I could print the page reformatted !

I hear kword has a text importer but don't know how to use it §

You wouldn't advise Kword ?

looked fine to me but I cannot paste a plain text and then remoce some special characters ...

"linefeeds" in fact

i tried the "find & replace" option but couldn't get it to erase automatically all the linefeeds

somebody has the answer ?

can Kword skip the linefeeds in a text ? that is the question

Thanks

Guest anon
You wouldn't advise Kword ?

Its not that i wouldn't advise you to use Kword.

You said you wanted something to replace MS.word . Well the only app i know of thats big enough to do that, is Openoffice or staroffice.

Replace MS WORD.....

WHY ?????

seriously work out which bits you think are important. Word is bloatware and SOFFICE and OO copy the bloatware as well.

If what you wanna do is simple copy/paste and saveas text then look at simpler ones SIAG/AbiWord are mid range, kword is VERY basic etc.

I use kword but as a simple text editor. apart from being plain text (opensource) its more or less like old win3.1 MS write.... very basic but I use it for opening README's etc.

I want a word processor that is able to eliminate the extra linefeed I get when I copy a web page into that word processor in order to arrange the text before printing it to on paper

I used to do it with MS Word via the feature "find and replace"

if I ask to find the linefeed and I leave the replace field empty MS Word erase all the linefeeds automatically

that is what I want any linux word processor to be able to do

I could not succeed with Kword and thought I didn't know the trick

but if Abiword can do it i would prefer a light Word processor of course

I have downloaded the abiword main rpm but I have no documentation and no language check

I would like to know which plug-ins are necessary to have a documentation and the french & english spelling check

thanks for your attention