which Linux distro for 1998 PC ?

jeanrev

I think without graphics you could even use Mandrake, but I'd seriously check if you cannot arrange to have some more memory on that system. The cpu is not too bad, don't expect stellar performance, but for 2.5 years I ran a P200 (not even mmx) as a server (internet, printserver, firewall,..) - it did have 120MB ram..

I gave it to a friend who now uses it as a desktop system with mdk9.2. He is the patient type though.... :D

i agree with aRTee. i'm currently running MDK9.2 on a vintage 1998 Aptiva with an AMD 333mhz. i have the RAM maxed out at 256 megs. RAM is very affordable these days, so if you really want to get some use out of that machine, invest a few bucks to up the RAM & you should be fine running just about any of the latest versions of MDK. i run several apps at the same time, all of the time & have no degradation in performance. just don't expect to run any video/CPU intensive games or movies & such & you should be fine.

Chris

Okay, I am going to be the odd one and suggest to try Peanut Linux. It is for systems with similar specs, doesn't take up much space, yet very powerful, and supposedly also user friendly. Not to say Mandrake without X wouldn't work, but Peanut is more geared towards what you got. Or if you are brave, Slackware, but if you are a noobie, I wouldn't go with Slack.

My problem is : how to install urpmi after installing mandrake 9.1 in text mode with the minimal configuration ?

or how to install the minimum configuration in text mode with urpmi only ?

I want to use Linux only to send & receive my mail on an old PC

thanks

I am on this machine because it works fine with WIN98SE

it is for my wife who plays freecell only and the mail

her machine is infested with virus on Windows

so a small linux to send & receive mail that's all we need

Since this machine runs Win98SE ok, it should be able to run Mandrake 8.2 fine. It should be faster than 9.1 because of the older versions of KDE an Gnome in 8.2. Even with 8.2 KDE and Gnome will be painfully slow, but if you use a lightweight window manager like Fluxbox or ICEwm you should still get pretty decent speed without having to give up running X and going text-only. Even so, staying more with text-based apps like Mutt or Midnight Commander instead of GUI stuff like Kmail or Konqueror will help too.

Edited by Crashdamage

I'd think that if Win98SE rons OK on this machine, you should be able to install Mandrake 8.2 OK too. It should run considerably better than 9.1 Even with 8.2 KDE or Gnome will be painfully slow, but at least should run. Better, use a lightweight window manager like maybe Fluxbox or ICEwm. That'll giv you some decent speed.