I don't understand MDK

Technonoid

I just looked at this:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/10.0/features/15.php3

and must say I'm a little disappointed.. I was thinking seriously about buying the DVD powerpack. I still might.

What gets me is that they still include BlackBox when it has had no updates for nearly two years. But FluxBox is active and better than blackbox.

What gives ?

What gets me is that they still include BlackBox when it has had no updates for nearly two years. But FluxBox is active and better than blackbox.

What gives ?

wasn't it 9.0 that mandrake decided not to include flux because of its licensing/non-gpl?...or something? Not ML's fault.

You also have to remember, as scoopy eluded to, there's a lot of stuff out there for linux and there is just no way to include it all. I don't know many folks that use flux-box, especialy at home on a day to day basis, and home use is what the download edition is aimed at.

Frankly, I don't think skipping fluxbox was nearly as a big of a deal as skipping the 2.4.22 kernel source. Everyone needs that.

... there's a lot of stuff out there for linux and there is just no way to include it all.  I don't know many folks that use flux-box, especialy at home on a day to day basis, and home use is what the download edition is aimed at.

I can't agree with you, I know many people that use fluxbox in daily basis at home (ie myself and many others here) because it is the best option for those who want a light weight window manager (just think that not everybody wants to spend all his computer resources with the window/desktop manager). Also I'm pretty sure that in the *box pool of users most prefer fluxbox rather than blackbox. I'm also surprised that it has not been included in the last few mandrake releases.

I'm not sure of the reason, maybe as it has been said it is a license issue but if so, why it is included in debian?

Guest Adriano

Hm... I don't see BB or Flux as a tool for a home user, even though I am one and I use it. I think it's aimed (in Mandrake Linux) to the people who use mandrake as a server. Granted, Flux is _much_ nicer than the current Blackbox stable, with antialiased fonts, transparent menus, etc... But that's not what you look for in a WM for a server: you just want something simple, lean, non-bug-prone. Hence BB over Flux.

Just my 2 centavos.

Im confused,

Am I missing it or is there no package list for the powerpack and paid for editions ?

Im willing to concede that people who download will be able to download flux or kernel-source seperately anyway BUT what about those who cant and hence buy the CD/DVD ....

These can range from people with NO INTERNET to only expensive dial-up ..to say a school that wants to install Mandrake BUT from the DVDs.

Yeah, but. I'm talking about a DVD PowerPack...

But then, I'm not sure if the list I saw was for the powerpack or not...

If you replace BlackBox with FluxBox the CD/DVD space required would be little.

However, I guess it could be the license, or something else.

You know what would be neat.... To have a package list that has the reason MDK included or not. For required pkgs they could put: Can't run without it.

And then like for BB they could put:Old time server system favorite..

Oh well, whatever...

I might still get the powerpack after I have seen the pkg list... DVD of course...

Tech

P.S. I don't need fluxbox for its lightweightness. I run it cause I like it, Clean, Very Fast.

my main puter is 2.66 with 1gb ram, so anything I want to run is not a problem. :)

Edited by Technonoid

I don't agree that flux is primarily a server WM - on a server why would you have X at all?

I have a powerful desktop and I use flux because I prefer it to anything else I've tried. Originally, I tried it because, at the time, my dekstop was pretty low spec, but now with my newer PC - I use it because I love it

I think it's pretty rubbis h that it's not included - especially when MDK make a thing out of includin Blackbox - which isn't (IMHO) as good

why don't they release a package list for the powerpack, professional et al versions? How hard can it be?? just add a line stating "with powerpack you also get ........., with pro you also get............................ Whats the big secret? I am considering getting the powerpack version, but I would like to know what the extra stuff is, ie will I want and use it.

There are no package listings for anything but download community edition, since they are 2 months down the road.

Patience!

Just like I have to have with bittorrent for 10.0 -- patience!

And really, someone who knows fluxbox will be able to get it, it is really a niche product, especially with kernel 2.6 and kde 3.2 improved as they are -- running well on anything from 300MHz up. MHz and RAM are cheap. 30 dollars max for a secondhand 400+MHz machine with 128+MBRam or so. 60 dollars for a clubmembership. Hmmm, should they really please non-paying members over paying members?

Get it from the contrib mirrors.

All imho, feel free to disagree.

I'm guessing that fluxbox will not be included on the download edition, but will be included on the powerpacks. They're probably using it as an extra little incentive to buy.

That said, what's so bad about having to download something so small?

There are no package listings for anything but download community edition, since they are 2 months down the road.

Patience!

Just like I have to have with bittorrent for 10.0 -- patience!

And really, someone who knows fluxbox will be able to get it, it is really a niche product, especially with kernel 2.6 and kde 3.2 improved as they are -- running well on anything from 300MHz up. MHz and RAM are cheap. 30 dollars max for a secondhand 400+MHz machine with 128+MBRam or so. 60 dollars for a clubmembership. Hmmm, should they really please non-paying members over paying members?

Get it from the contrib mirrors.

All imho, feel free to disagree.

I disagree that flux is simply for people who have low system resources - as I said above, I choose to use it over KDE and gnome and all the others. I certainly don't have to with my system - 2.4Ghz with 1024MB memory

I also don't think it's a niche product - it's very popular and is a good alternative to KDE, Gnome etc... (IMHO it beats the pants of them to use day by day)

It is not just for low end systems!

Guest Adriano

Of course it isn't. As a matter of fact, you can run a floppy distro on a modern system, to prove that point. But it is a niche player, same as Blackbox (which I use). Sorry to say it, but it's certainly not the most used WM out there (neither is BB, by the way).