Mozille Firebird becomes Mozilla Firefox

Darkelve

Darn, the site is down, just as I was going to download it.

Okay, 'fess up: who of you put this on slashdot!?

:angry:

:P

And ohhh... I like the window decoration of firefox :joker:

Edited by Darkelve

Hey Cybrjackle, I found mirrors on slashdot. I looked for the news article and there were mirror links under a post called 'slashdotted'. lol

Darkelve

Edit: whoaa, this is fast! Faster than Opera in a lot of areas and nearly as fast in the rest... for my part they could've called this firejet....

Edited by Darkelve

My friend just got it. He says that some rendering problems that were in .7 were fixed in .8.

The first thing I heard of the name Firefox was "Now Clint Eastwood will claim trademark infringement" (there is a movie Firefox about a jet plane or something). :)

One thing Linux users may notice, is that Firefox (and hence its Gecko rendering engine) has slimmed down in size with version 0.8. Comparing with Firebird 0.7, the Firefox gtk2+Xft tarball is 1.3 MB less in size (8.6MB vs 7.3MB) - getting closer to its Windows counterpart.

Many suggests that Firefox is running faster than Mozilla 1.6, but I guess YMMV on this one.

Note, to curious users, that Firefox, Thunderbird and eventually Nvu (the Mozilla Composer spin-off, development funded by Lindows) will serve another purpose more than mere independence. If the Gecko engine and XUL (XML User Interface) these application use can continue to slim down in size like the progress Firefox has shown, eventually XUL can become a cross-platform GUI itself, just like Qt, GTK, and wxWindows (more than that, Gecko is an HTML/XHTML/XML rendering engine which other GUI toolkit lacks). Firefox' improvement is a good indication how XUL can stand on its own as a cross-platform GUI toolkit.

In fact, Microsoft will incorporate its own version of XML-based inteface scheme, called XAML, in Windows Longhorn. Consider XAML as a competition to Mozilla's XUL, just like C# will try to dominate against Java (more exactly, Microsoft wants its own control of API rather than agreeing on standard). Probably there won't be a Browser War 2, but Microsoft is once again competing with the legacy of Netscape, this time in terms of the technology behind them: XAML vs XUL.

One thing Linux users may notice, is that Firefox (and hence its Gecko rendering engine) has slimmed down in size with version 0.8. Comparing with Firebird 0.7, the Firefox gtk2+Xft tarball is 1.3 MB less in size (8.6MB vs 7.3MB) - getting closer to its Windows counterpart.

Many suggests that Firefox is running faster than Mozilla 1.6, but I guess YMMV on this one.

Note, to curious users, that Firefox, Thunderbird and eventually Nvu (the Mozilla Composer spin-off, development funded by Lindows) will serve another purpose more than mere independence. If the Gecko engine and XUL (XML User Interface) these application use can continue to slim down in size like the progress Firefox has shown, eventually XUL can become a cross-platform GUI itself, just like Qt, GTK, and wxWindows (more than that, Gecko is an HTML/XHTML/XML rendering engine which other GUI toolkit lacks). Firefox' improvement is a good indication how XUL can stand on its own as a cross-platform GUI toolkit.

In fact, Microsoft will incorporate its own version of XML-based inteface scheme, called XAML, in Windows Longhorn. Consider XAML as a competition to Mozilla's XUL, just like C# will try to dominate against Java (more exactly, Microsoft wants its own control of API rather than agreeing on standard). Probably there won't be a Browser War 2, but Microsoft is once again competing with the legacy of Netscape, this time in terms of the technology behind them: XAML vs XUL.

jesus

The first thing I heard of the name Firefox was "Now Clint Eastwood will claim trademark infringement" (there is a movie Firefox about a jet plane or something). :)

That's what I was wondering. :-) Hey will if they changed the name once due to something else apparently being named Firebird etc. :juggle: