Kernel 2.6.0 is out

DragonMage

well I'm still at 2.6.0-0.3mdk and as usual I don't notice much diff....of course in -0.3mdk preempt is disabled. Last vanilla I ran was 95-test>enabled preempt and compiled for k-7. It was a little better than mdk's, no suprise there, but still not much diff just a little smoother than normal. I wish mdk would stop screwing up the kernel. I haven't used a good one since ML9.0. Only reason I'm using it now instead of the vanilla is because I missed supermount, didn't feel like patching, and for the first time acpi works with my MoBo but that also worked in the vanilla. I use reiserfs and yes, sometimes under strain like msec running, you can not do anything, I mean anything til msec is done. Five minutes....you are paralyzed.

Now I am sure I got a LOT of readings and catch up to do in this release.

It's time to move the use of Linux deeper into corporate and desktop.

Linux: 2.6.0 Released; "The beaver is out of detox"

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1815

Linux: What's New In 2.6, And Known Issues

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1816

Feature: VMWare and NVidia on Linux 2.6 Kernel HowTo

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1804

I remember reading somewhere that there was a special patch you had to apply to be able to get the nvidia drivers working in the 2.6.0test kernels.  Anyone know if this patch has been incorporated by mdk in any of their stable releases?

not up to 2.6.0-0.3mdk. Highly doubt it will until a distro uses it.

waaaaaaa, i just spent ages configuring it then waited hours for it to compile and when i try adding it to lilo i get this!

Fatal: Kernel /boot/vmlinux is too big

Why!!!!!!!

:( :help::help::oops::furious3::zzz::wall:

Is there anything I can do?

I have successfully compiled the 2.4 kernel a number of times for my LFS

Here is a ls-l of my /boot/

localhost:/tmp/linux-2.6.0# ls -l /boot/
total 14748
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       756078 Dec 19 00:13 System.map
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       522475 Oct  4 15:08 System.map-2.4.22-1-686
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       764084 Oct 26 23:52 System.map-2.6.0-test9-1-386
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          512 Nov  9 03:52 boot.0300
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        42397 Sep 27 20:36 config-2.4.22-1-686
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        49201 Oct 26 22:21 config-2.6.0-test9-1-386
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           38 Dec  8 19:03 debianlilo.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debianlilo.bmp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      3518464 Dec  6 11:40 initrd.img-2.4.22-1-686
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      4014080 Nov  8 20:58 initrd.img-2.6.0-test9-1-386
-rw-------    1 root     root       122880 Dec  5 05:38 map
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           33 Dec  8 19:03 sarge.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sarge.bmp
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           31 Dec  8 19:03 sid.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sid.bmp
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      3305962 Dec 19 00:09 vmlinux
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       850860 Oct  4 15:08 vmlinuz-2.4.22-1-686
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1091337 Oct 26 23:52 vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9-1-386

Edited by iphitus

Guest kuchwas
I remember reading somewhere that there was a special patch you had to apply to be able to get the nvidia drivers working in the 2.6.0test kernels.  Anyone know if this patch has been incorporated by mdk in any of their stable releases?

Not as of 2.6.0.0.5mdk released yesterday, but the patch is easy to apply. I've used it on all mdk test and now non-test releases. Get it at www.minion.de

This is an excellent link:

http://kniggit.net/wwol26.html

the overview is clearly written so even some newbies like me can pick up some important points.

My eyes blinked on this line, however:

"The protocol itself is made up of two different data link types: SCO, or "Synchronous Connection Oriented", for lossy audio applications;"

luckily I quickly found out it was another type of "sco" he was talking about

Edit: So SCO is in the kernel anyway! This is what they must be talking about!

:lol2:

Edited by Darkelve

So where do we download the newest mandrake 2.6 kernel (you guys are talkin about 2.6.0.0.5 'n' stuff) I had tried getting the bz2 right from kernel.org for test9 and compiled it properly but it wouldn't boot with my mandrake... I'd love to try the mandrake cooker version (must work, right ;) )

If it's an RPM, is there any special procedure to installing it? I've heard MANY times "Don't install the kernel using the rpm!!!"

Thanks for any input! Dying to try it!

hey! nice of you to drop by ;)

you have to use some form of rpm. I've done rpm, rpmdrake+ (gui), and urpmi, with no prob.....'I think' those rpm/kernel probs are behind us with 9.2 anyway. I initially had probs back when I was 9.1 so when I was 9.2 I didn't screw around and used a cooker mirror and rpmdrake+ so that all deps would be resolve, and there is a few. I have used the mdk 2.6.0- what? 95test, 2.6.0-0.1, and 0.3. After that I went vanilla/supermount patch. Don't forget to run mkinitrd if vanilla.

Edited by bvc