Kde user wants to try Gnome

chin808

I can say with absolute certainty that Gnome 2.4.0 is included on the 9.2 (Download Edition) CD's. I am currently running it on my desktop and have it installed on my laptop, although I run fluxbox exclusively there, but I installed that from a separate rpm before ever issuing the startx command.

When I had mdk9.1 I tried Gnome, but it kept crashing, so I stayed with KDE... now I reinstalled my PC with KDE only (yes, Gnome is on my download Edition, I just chose not to install it).

What are the advantages with Gnome? Why do people choose Gnome over KDE, is it just the look, or?

Gnome's just generally great.... :devil:

Traditionally many GNU/Linux users had Gnome as their DE due to (then) questionable freedom of KDE. Times have changed and Gnome is every bit as good as KDE. Some people prefer nautlius to konqueror but I don't use file managers so thats not my reason.

Things I like about Gnome:

SVG icons on the desktop,

Giving us the Bitstream Vera Fonts

Epiphany and Galeon

The tabs in Gnome terminal (with different profiles)

General look and feel (although I am using bluecurve :P )

KDE and Gnome are very similar when it comes down to it.

chin808- I have Discovery 9.2 and couldn't find Gnome. I bought a cheap 3 cd set and loaded the 3rd cd at boot. Then I went into software and found Gnome. I don't know if I got it from cd 3 or if it was there all along. I've been going to install it but I am wondering how it installed, any problems, set up?

chin808- I have Discovery 9.2 and couldn't find Gnome.  I bought a cheap 3 cd set and loaded the 3rd cd at boot.  Then I went into software and found Gnome.  I don't know if I got it from cd 3 or if it was there all along.  I've been going to install it but I am wondering how it installed, any problems, set up?

Actually I went into rpm drake and searched "gnome" and found the packages there- I had to install about 90 megs of files if memory serves me ( it might not as I have been battling the flu) I feel kinda dumb for not trying that to begin with, and I think I downloded the files becaue I never used any cd's

Hope that helps, if not these guys here know ALOT more about all this than me :thumbs:

Well I keep repeating this to all who care, but if you ever want a good place to learn more about your Linux system, this is an excellent resource to start with (that and the FAQ's and tips&tricks on this forum):

http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

It seriously helped me at the time.

Edited by Darkelve

When I had mdk9.1 I tried Gnome, but it kept crashing, so I stayed with KDE... now I reinstalled my PC with KDE only (yes, Gnome is on my download Edition, I just chose not to install it).

What are the advantages with Gnome? Why do people choose Gnome over KDE, is it just the look, or?

I use Gnome because it doesn't crash anymore like it used to, it's faster to start up and run than KDE, it's easy to configure (although not as many options as KDE), it's pretty, and it's an official GNU product... Not to mention that it's supported by Red Hat, and Novell is going to double the number of paid developers working on it, as well as those bounties for nice desktop integration with other apps such as Evolution and Gaim... GTK2 just looks a lot nicer on the eyes than Qt... PLUS, I can drag and drop files from my desktop or filemanager into Gimp! That's my main reasons.

KDE is cool and all, but it's not for me.

The philosophy of Gnome is to basically do everything perfectly, whereas KDE's is to do more... So, depending on what you want... I am quite impressed with Gnome 2.4. One major version ago, it was very brutal, crashing left, right, and center. But not anymore, for me at least.