picture file viewer

chin808

I vote Kuickshow too... There is a Linux version of XNView (a window$ image browser) with slidshow and all that. It will also animate gif and png animations... I'm don't remember it coming in a RPM for mandrake but the install from tarball was no big deal. Works great. Only issue was starting it in browser mode. You have to involk it 'xnview -browser' but that info is in the man pages..

Kuickshow is good, very simple with no extra features to hog memory.  Plus easy to remember key shortcuts:

Enter = fullscreen/window

Page up = previous file

Page down = next file

You don't even need to Page Up/Down. If you have a wheel mouse you can just roll the wheel up or down to move to the next image. Very handy at times.

Very similar to ACDSee is PixiePlus. The home page pixieplus seems to be out of action but you get it from here (RPMSeek)

M.

:wall: <----- this is what I look like right now... I am really new at linux and cannot get any of the viewers I downloaded installed with the exception of XNView, which I really didnt care for. I was really glad to see pixieplus because thats what I wanted originally but the site is down - so thanx. I got the rpm but of course there is unsatisfied devel(libm) BAH I got some documantation on urpmi but am having a hard time finding anything "n00b" enough to get it right evidently. I think I need to chill for a min b4 my head breaks open and my molten brain oozes out

If you want to avoid dependency issues, stick with the mandrake rpms --- these usually have mdk at the end of the file name. And stick to the stuff on your install discs, such as kwickview or gqview.

If either pixieplus or gthumb interests you --- these are available on mandrake ftp sites in the contribs folder, such as:

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandra....2/contrib/i586

I have tried them all and wound up switching from pixieplus to gthumb, because pixie was not completely finished (as of only a few months ago) and gthumb has another cool feature where it produces web ready photo galleries.

that is correct

Name: gthumb

Version: 2.1.4-1.norlug

Summary: An image viewer and browser for GNOME.

Description: gThumb lets you browse your hard disk, showing you thumbnails of image files. It also lets you view single files (including GIF animations), add comments to images, organize images in catalogs, print images, view slideshows, set your desktop background, and more.

But works well while I am in kde (probably need gnome installed tho)