PCLinuxOS live CD (Texstar)

:thumbs: If you haven't heard or seen the news on the pclinuxonline site, you should check out this thread.Click HERE for Texstar's PCLinuxOS info It is a live CD,like Knoppix, but based on Mandrake with Texstar's special tweaks and packaging. One CD that is crammed full of goodies. It is now in PREVIEW 3 so is not a finished product, but it is already good and will surely get better as the bugs are found and fixed.

If you have feedback, you can post to pclinuxonline.com site or join the maillist and help give feedback. It's been a good way to learn and help the community grow. :)

I picked it up yesterday, and I'm going to play later when I have more time. If it's texstar, it's good!

I'm using it now. I'm taking this to work. I can use linux without telling the administrator! This is the first cd linux I have used. And it loads Nvidia drivers!! Cool!!

Gnubie,

How much RAM do you have? Below 128MB I do not think it will work and it is slow on less than 256MB. I tried it on an older Acer PII/266 with 192MB and it won't run on it either. System hangs on boot no matter what options I tried so far.

On my laptop it won't load if I use the "laptop" command on boot. There is a tweak needed because it tries to load acpi and apm which are mutually exclusive. I experimented and used "laptop acpi=off" and it worked. It also worked by just hitting "enter key" at the startup boot prompt.

My desktop works great and boots from both cdrw and cdrom. K3b only works if I boot off the cdrom though as you cannot remove the cd when you want to burn. I burned a test iso using k3b directly off the live cd. Amazing how much Texstar got into this. It is a good tool!

Kmack and I was one of those early birds who got lucky to test preview 2 version of texstar PClinuxOS. I haven't got the chance to test preview 3 yet (waiting for him to send me a copy), but my impression of preview 2 is generally good, just memory hungry (well.. mandrake is a heavy distro). However, if a person have a pretty modern computer with 256 mb of ram, I think I will use Texstar's disks instead of knoppix to demo what a linux desktop is like since it is very polished in look. My friend was planning to switch from hd-installed knoppix to this cd if it has a good install to harddisk script, but then, he found slackware and he is into slackware now.

Gnubie,

How much RAM do you have?  Below 128MB I do not think it will work and it is slow on less than 256MB.  I tried it on an older Acer PII/266 with 192MB and it won't run on it either.  System hangs on boot no matter what options I tried so far.

On my laptop it won't load if I use the "laptop" command on boot.  There is a tweak needed because it tries to load acpi and apm which are mutually exclusive.  I experimented and used "laptop acpi=off" and it worked.  It also worked by just hitting "enter key" at the startup boot prompt.

My desktop works great and boots from both cdrw and cdrom.  K3b only works if I boot off the cdrom though as you cannot remove the cd when you want to burn.  I burned a test iso using k3b directly off the live cd.  Amazing how much Texstar got into this.  It is a good tool!

I have 256mb of ram.

Gnubie,

Sorry it won't run. :( Should run ok but a bit slow on 256MB. It runs well on my 512 and 384MB Ram setups.

I'd really suggest you post to the pclinuxos mail list and let the "real" experts help. Here is a link to the signup info:

CLICK HERE for pclinuxos maillist

If you do not want to do that, you could post your hardware setup here and we'll try to help via relay.

A couple things that can cause boot issues: 1) NIC/LAN card that is not properly identified or 2) USB issues. If you have a USB scanner, printer, or other devices unplug them and try to boot. Sometimes boot issues are on peripheral hardware that is not getting recognized properly. Once it boots you can try to 'hotplug' by plugging your USB devices back in and seeing if they are recognized.