RedHat leaves... enter Mandrake

ral

Initially i was a bit peeved by RedHat leaving the desktop market. While there is Fedora, I see this more as a distro where new ideas will be tested... and am not to sure if it will be good for the average joe (like me).

But than I thought about it. There are too many Linux distro's anyway. Maybe its best if RedHat just focus on the server market. Their resourcs are limited and maybe best they take on M$ in just one area.

Was thinking though, this would probably fortify Mandrake's position as the Linux for the desktop, as I suppose a lot of mainstream RedHat users would be headed this way.

I agree. Mandrake has always been more desktop focused, while red hat aimed at the enterprise market. ( I'm trying out Fedora later today, after I burn the iso's!)

Mandrake has always been more cutting edge, with the problems that come along with that, so Fedora will be competition for Mandrake.

It is sad that they will now duplicate a lot of efforts.

For instance, RH has only had it's own rpm dependency resolution tool, up2date, but I don't think they will use urpmi in Fedora, which is sad, since urpmi is really great.

Ok, they do have apt-for-rpm or so, but still..

In any case, RH has never been for the home user desktop, they once showed a slight shift when they mentioned the desktop at all in 2002, but anyhow, Mandrake is still the home user desktop linux system of choice for the masses.

I'm afraid that Redhat might be pulling out of the desktop market because they don't think that Linux will ever dominate it. Everyone knows that Linux walks the server market, but on the desktop side of things... well, we can't be sure.

Fedora is, for all intense and purposes, a Redhat product, so I don't consider this to be the end of Redhat on the desktop anyway...

RH will finance some Fedora development, and there will be only community support afaics...

On a side note, I thought of something: with RH aiming at high price contracts, this does leave quite some shelf space in retail outlets for Mandrake to be filled.

So let's hope they can get their act together for 9.2...

Fedora is, for all intense and purposes, a Redhat product, so I don't consider this to be the end of Redhat on the desktop anyway...

But fedora will not have (AFAIK) the posibility to migrate from one version to another, you will have to wipe the install and re-config, re-place your data, etc. And they won't support versions "older" than 2 releases back.

That makes Fedora a whole less attractive for home and soho users, at least on their main desktops. Linux users who try every single distro they can, just for the fun of it, will be ok, but not in "production line" systems.

I hope this turns to be a good chance for Mandrake to reach a stronger finacial status and market position. :headbang:

I really dont see this as a bad thing. Compared to most of yall, I am a Red Hat fanboy, because it's what I cut my teeth on oh so long ago (I remember thinking "wow, they are releasing KDE 2.0"). I think Fedora will do well. Also, SuSE and Mandrake are great desktop distrobutions, but both are moving towards buy or die mentality.

Why would you say that SuSE and Mandrake are moving towards a buy or die mentality?

This has always been the case, for all commercial distros.

And this is more so for RH, although they are saying it to their corporate customers.

Nothing new here, so why the word 'moving'..?

Unfortunately good intentions do not pay salaries. This is what bothers me about most distros. How will Gentoo survive without money?At some point a key developer will leave the project because it is getting too big and taking up too much time and they need to make money to support themselves. It's the great paradox of the Open Source.

IMHO Mandrake _now_ have the right approach. Many people protest the club-only releases and proposed advertising to be included in 'free' versions of Mandy.

I applaud them. It's not easy to do what they do and make money while freeloaders are destroying the market.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the Fedora project accomplishes. The choices out there are killing me at the moment, I have a different distro loaded every second day =)

>But fedora will not have (AFAIK) the posibility to migrate from one version to

> another, you will have to wipe the install and re-config, re-place your data, etc.

> And they won't support versions "older" than 2 releases back.

This hasn't yet been decided upon by the fedora team, there is the function in up2date to upgrade the distro and they will probably still include the upgrade option at install time. They will support older releases of both fedora and redhat thats out of support via fedora-legacy.

I think community distros such as fedora and debian are certainly the way forward for the enthuisast.