RedHat leaves... enter Mandrake

ral

>But fedora will not have (AFAIK) the posibility to migrate from one version to

> another, you will have to wipe the install and re-config, re-place your data, etc.

> And they won't support versions "older" than 2 releases back.

This hasn't yet been decided upon by the fedora team, there is the function in up2date to upgrade the distro and they will probably still include the upgrade option at install time.  They will support older releases of both fedora and redhat thats out of support via fedora-legacy.

I think community distros such as fedora and debian are certainly the way forward for the enthuisast.

I installed Fedora as an upgrade from RH 9 to Fedora 1 without a problem. I also did a clean install, which was faster, but the end result was the same.

Some other things:

- up2date works the same- only without the annoyance of having to register with RHN. When you run it, look where it's connecting to. Fedora.......

- Desktop and apps are exactly like RH9 (except for the Fedora wallpaper) Except for a graphical spalsh screen while booting (which looked REAL nice) it's hard to see much difference cosmetically between RH 9 and Fedora 1.

- They say they will put out new releases 2-3 times a year. My guess it will work out to 2 releases a year...... about what Mandrake and RHL do/did.

- The whole point about not supporting older versions is their business model. If you need a server that you will leave a version on for more than 2 versions (which will be 12-18 months) then go with RHEL. That's the whole point they are making. Mandrake's support cycle is only 12 month's (2 versions basically) for desktop and 18 months for core products, so Fedora is not much different than Mandrake.

Fedora 1.0 is, for all practical purposes, Red Hat Linux 9.1. *Most* people who used Red Hat Linux downloaded it for free, and used RHN for patches, etc. It's the same deal with Fedora.

My opinion- if you are a Red Hat Linux user who downloaded it for free and used RHN for free- stick with Fedora. Based on what I've seen from a little use, you won't notice a difference.

Fedora is nice, but I'm sticking with Mandrake for now. :-)

Edit: You can see Mandrake's current life support policy here:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/productlifetime.php

Just like Red Hat- if you want long term shelf life, you've gotta go with their Enterprise offerings.

Edited by jwb