Which window manager would you use:Gnome or KDE?

Guest BigDaddy

Guest BigDaddy

Which would U recomend to use:

GNOME or KDE?

I use KDE for almost 2months now, haven't tried GNOME yet or any other manager!

btw. Which manager would U recomend as to being a fast and stil agile? I heard a lot of talk of XFCL(hope the name is typed right)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

The choice of your Window Manager (resp. Desktop Environment) depends on what you like and need.

KDE and Gnome both get IMHO to a development where they try to "emulate" the look and feel of Windows XP and Mac OS X... I think they shouldn't, because they are unique and should stay with their own way. (OKOK you CAN configure them to look different, though...)

If you want/need something that feels like WinXP or Mac, KDE is a bit ahead of Gnome, but Gnome is still a "bit" cooler.

I use WindowMaker. It has a completely different feeling of usage and design. In the beginning it seems a bit unusual and hard to learn in depth, but then it's a lightning compared to KED and Gnome. You can even combine WindowMaker with KDE, Gnome or XFCE elements as you like, for example use their "task bars" as an add-on to WindowMaker. On my K6 II / 400MHz KDE needs about 80 seconds to start, WM needs 15 or so... And doesn't eat up so much processor power.

I'm just installing "lots and lots" of window managers and will post my results of comparing them....

See ya.

PeterPanic

Guest BigDaddy

The thing that I dislike about KDE is that its bloated! I don't need fancy graphic who eats everything!If I wanted that I would use WinXP! But I need a fast and agile and the most important stable window manager which is also newbie friendly!

Which one would U recomend?

The thing that I dislike about KDE is that its bloated! I don't need fancy graphic who eats everything!If I wanted that I would use WinXP! But I need a fast and agile and the most important stable window manager which is also newbie friendly!

Blackbox is my first choice.

BTW, what's all that stuff in your sig?

Guest BigDaddy

Blackbox is my first choice.

BTW, what's all that stuff in your sig?

On the other forums it works but strangly not in this one. means ITALIC and means BOLD! But I don't know why it doesn't work.

It should do something like this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php...readid=33713588

Just watch the BigDaddy's sig

btw. Is blackbox also Newbie frienldy! Cos Im still a lesser newbie! ONly been using linux for a month now!

Guest BigDaddy
Gnome or Fluxbox.

But isn't GNOME also bloated?

lol here we go another religous war over WM and whats bloated and whats not.

I don't know what Ure talking about!

And what is WM anyway?

Yes, depending on your definition of bloat, but not as bloated and easier to trim down. KDE is startng to split up their pkgs more and more. What's all the talk of bloat anyway :roll: What's the definition of bloat? Really? If you mean stuff loaded that you don't really need or use, that depends on the user, so bloat to one is necessity/convenience to another :wink: Don't want bloat, fine, spend countless hours configuring and tweaking til your heart's content.... use to....but now I just want it to work after intall. Just want everything there, accessible, easy?....go bloat :wink:

WM=window manager

DE=Desktop Environment

DE's have WM's like gnome=metacity or sawfish and KDE=kwin(something) but they both can use fluxbox, blackbox etc... or any for that matter though there are compat issues between them.

DM=desktop manager