Which window manager would you use:Gnome or KDE?

Guest BigDaddy

I use Gnome on my desktop (Athlon 1GHz, 512 DDR Ram) and Fluxbox on my laptop (P4 1.7GHz, 512 DDR Ram). I absolutely love fluxbox and wouldn't change that for anything.

That being said, I used to run KDE on both my desktop and laptop (only changed the desktop recently, had run KDE since Mandrake 7.0) I liked it, but it is awfully big and definitely fits your definition of bloat.

I am looking forward to rcxau's tutorial on using flux as the WM for Gnome. I like the look of his screenshots and that is something I would be interested in doing for my desktop.

In the end, it all boils down to what you like. I really liked KDE for both of my machines, now I can't see myself changing from fluxbox on my laptop ever. Is it newbie-friendly? Maybe not if you haven't used Linux for very long. Is it easy to learn? I would say yes, but I did have help initially from rcxau, phunni, and BooYah.

If you're looking for a very fast WM, I would say go for one of the lighter weight ones like Blackbox or Fluxbox. If you prefer the ease of use, I would say go with Gnome or KDE. Which is easier to use? That question will undoubtedly be debated for a long time. In terms of being more newbie-friendly, I would say KDE is easier. You have a lot more control with Gnome, although it might not be readily apparent.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic