BOYCOTT THE RUNNING OF JEDI ACADEMY DEDICATED LINUX SERVERS

Guest JaseP

It seems the only way to run Jedi Academy on Linux is to use a NOCD crack, which is technically a violation of the DMCA. So legally, you cannot run Jedi Academy on a Linux machine. There is no technical reason it won't run in WineX other than this.

Yet, Raven and LucasArts have seen fit to produce a Linux Dedicated Server pachage for the game. So they want us to be their lackeys for the purpose of promoting their Windoze title.

NO SELF-RESPECTING LINUX USER SHOULD HOST A JEDI ACADEMY LINUX DEDICATED SERVER.

I suggest a Boycott until such time that they change their opinion.

In fact, given the maturity of nVidia driver and the continuing development of ATi Linux driver, there's no technical reason they can't release a native Linux client either.

Market share has been used as an argument for not developing/releasing a Linux client. But with the rate of Linux adoption pace in the coming months, I see less and less reason for not releasing Linux clients (Half Life 2 is the only exception, since DX9-feature were not available until OpenGL 2/1.5 has released, but it seems to me John Carmack managed to adopt nVidia OpenGL vendor extension pretty well). In fact it is very reasonable to ask for a Linux client along side those games who would like to run a Linux server.

I think this is a reasonable demand, and I think the community might want to organize together to advocate on this cause. I enjoy ET on Linux very much and would like to do so again when MOH:AA Linux client is released.

My letter to LucasArts:

Please forward this e-mail to the appropriate department.

Dear LucasArts:

I have been a user of your software for over 10 years. I have pruchased no less than eleven of your games. I have been a fan of the Star Wars license for over 25 years. Together, I feel they represent LucasArts strongest software license.

It therefore is distressing to me that you would choose to offer your Jedi Academy title for the PC with a Linux dedicated server without also offering a Linux client. Furthermore, since Jedi Academy contains copy protection software on the disks, it is impossible to run with tools such as wine or WineX under Linux without utilizing a "no CD crack." As I am sure you are aware, such "no CD cracks" are violations of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and are therfore illegal.

Porting titles to Linux has never been easier. The SIMS took approximately eight weeks to port, most of which was spent on copy protection issues. Linux native code for Miles audio and Bink video now exist. OpenGL is well supported in Linux, and has been for some time. Game engines such as Quake 3 Arena, Neverwinter Nights and Unreal Tournament 2003 have been ported to Linux. Many production houses exist that will port the titles for a small fee and little in the way of expense costs.

As such, you are asking Linux users to host servers for your software without giving us the oppurtunity to run the game on our Operating System of choice. I for one will be encouraging other Linux users to refrain from hosting Linux servers for your games until such time as you would agree and actively pursue a Linux native client for all games for which you release a Linux dedicated server.

You have an oppurtunity to build goodwill within the Linux community. The Linux comunity can help support your titles with servers designed to make the multiplayer aspect of them more enjoyable. It is morally wrong to ask for this support without providing incentive for us in return. Please reconsider.

Very Truly Yours,

-J. Powlette

Great letter. nVidia OpenGL driver + SDL/OpenAL/FMOD library, they only have very few technical reasons not to port to Linux. Besides, another point worth mentioning is the number of volunteer testers out there. Many of them are willing to perform beta testing for Linux game clients for FREE. Keep in mind of this community-based effort in the testing/debugging department.

*sigh*.....

I really think that ALL games should be boycotted if they release a linux server, but not a linux client.  We help make their games great on-line, and they dont give a rats ass about us.  You might want to all HL2 to that list

that's another great valve game i definitely won't be playing (the otehr is the original HL which the refuse to port and i refuse to run under wine anymore).

The SIMS took approximately eight weeks to port

The Sims hasn't been ported to linux.

No, but it does work, sort of, in WineX. This game will not work at all without breaking copyright and violationg the DMCA. I think that was his point. I, personally, would love to see a native port of the Sims. I really like that game and miss the fact that I can't play it anymore.

Actually it WAS ported. It just requires a version of WineX as well to run. You can't use the store-bought version of the SIMS on Linux, you need to purchase the Transgaming version. It's similar to Transgaming's Kohan in that regard (as opposed to the earlier Loki port). It's kind of a "bastard" port, if you want to look at it that way.

See:

http://www.transgaming.com/sims.php

Technicalities aside, when you are trying to make an argument for Linux ports, it's nice to point out that it took only 8 weeks to get a dedicated Linux version running. Saying that it really isn't a port is meaningless when it comes to building momentum behind push for Linux versions. By the way, since Corel used wine to move WordPerfect over to Linux, it really isn't a port either,... technically. But (just about) everyone calls it one.