BOYCOTT THE RUNNING OF JEDI ACADEMY DEDICATED LINUX SERVERS

Guest JaseP

I agree with that statement too. That, and the fact that you have to buy a special copy that comes with their modified version of WineX to even get it working. You cannot do so with either the CVS or paid rpm/deb/tar.gz files. I don't agree with that at all.

I own a copy of the Sims and most of the expansion packs. I would be willing to buy them all again if I could get a native port. I am not willing to buy them again just so I can get another copy of the Windows version with a "special" version of WineX that allows them to run in Linux.

To honest, I would be willing to buy new copies of all of the games I have if I could get a native version. I think a lot of people would. Sure, there are those who will say "I already spent this money on one copy of the game, why should I spend another $40-60 to get another copy of the same game?" To these people I would say "do you not support Linux gaming?"

Ok, maybe the majority of people would not be willing to buy a whole new version. But if game companies allowed the game to be ported but with the stipulation that the person porting the game could not give the installers away (maybe for tracking purposes?), who would be willing to spend like maybe $10, maybe less, to be able to download and install your favorite game? This would allow the companies to see how many people out there are actually interested in Linux games, plus it would give the person/people who ported the games a little money for their effort.

I wish more game companies would do something like this. Even if it were for older games. How many people out there would like to see a Half-Life, Sims, Jedi Knight 2, or Diablo 2 native port? How many of those would be willing to pay even $5 to be able to get the installers because you already have the game disks? I certainly would. I realize that these games may already work with something like WineX, but I want a native port.

Even if there was the slightest chance that Lucas Arts considered porting the client, I don't want them taking the same route as Transgaming. By mentioning The Sims, someone at Lucas Arts would look at what Transgaming did and do the same for Jedi Academy. I want a native version of Jedi Academy, not an emulated one.

Even if there was the slightest chance that Lucas Arts considered porting the client, I don't want them taking the same route as Transgaming.  By mentioning The Sims, someone at Lucas Arts would look at what Transgaming did and do the same for Jedi Academy.  I want a native version of Jedi Academy, not an emulated one.

Me too!

I concurr as well, but I will take even a "basterdized" port as in the SIMS. JA is half-way to a port as it is, with Bink being supported in Linux now, with OpenGL being supported. The only area that is even slightly problematical for it would be sound.

By the way, since Corel used wine to move WordPerfect over to Linux, it really isn't a port either,... technically. But (just about) everyone calls it one.

I bought that crap, and I don't consider it a port. I don't know anyone who does. I can only hope that Transgaming is destined to ditch Linux, just as Gavriel State's former company (Corel) did.

If you're talking about WordPerfect 8, then it was ported properly. No Wine required.

By the way, if you have a copy of Transgaming's Kohan games or The Sims, find the executable file, and run the file command on it. You'll see something like this:

Kohan_AG.exe: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows

Contrast that with Loki's version of Kohan:

kohan: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, statically linked, stripped

So much for a native port.

That's good news zero0w,...

But,...

I use SuSE Linux 8.2 and have been having problems with Jedi Outcast. It apparently fails when trying to write to the save subdirectory. I'm wondering if any other people have this same problem in Jedi Academy before I get it and realize I can't play it.

Oh, and as for LucaArts, it still doesn't make up for the lack of a native port when the engine is already ported. They're still on my turd list.

Interesting.

I bought that crap

Yeah me too.

It seemed quite a good idea at the time and I thought well if it serves as a halfway house....

Unfortunately it didn't. Even worse if you take the SIMS they dumped on their Linux users....

The 'ported' or winified the SIMS but then couldn't be bothered to follow it up. You still can't get the option packs so the linux people who bought in have been left stranded. They bought the extra version thinking it was only a matter of time before the option packs ran and then found out the options didn't RUN and that transgaming has no intention whatsoever of 'porting' them.

Hence they ended up buying an extra copy which never achieved the functionality of their windows version.

Now that is bad for Linux....