Making coasters

scoopy

I think my burner is toast. Although it normally will still read my cd's... it is making too many coasters now. I usually get this error when recording things.

Error - NO SEEK COMPLETE (030200)

I get same thing whether Linux or windows. It's only about 7 months old and from their website at:

http://www.cendyne.com/

For those who have sent a CenDyne product after August 15th, 2003, your product will not be accepted. Therefore, you should be receiving it back soon.

CenDyne is no longer providing warranty services.

Other info I found on this error message indicates it is a problem with the blank cd, but I have using these name brand blanks successfully for like ever... even in same burner.

Just looking for a second opinion on whether my burner is a lemon (seems like the company is calling it quits) or maybe salvageble somehow. I already tried a firmware upgrade.

Do you have DMA enabled for the drive?

Have you tried a different brand of media?

Have you tried a different ribbon cable?

Is the drive in need of cleaning?

Those are the only things I can think of to check. Unfortunately it's probably gone belly up. :(

/germ

thanks,

Do you have DMA enabled for the drive?   Yes, according to Win, Don't know how in Linux

Have you tried a different brand of media?   Using same brand that always worked before

Have you tried a different ribbon cable?   Nope, don't think it will matter here *

Is the drive in need of cleaning?   First thing I did

* It is reading fine, but refuses to burn after 5% done.

Why do these always die when your drives reach the 90-95 % mark? (don't answer that) I never had much luck with burners, probably cause I buy the cheap ones. I guess its time to do some shopping.

I think I know what I am giving evil mods for Christmas this year. :wink:

yep, it sounds to me like your burner is taking a shit. i've seen that scenerio before & every time it was a dying burner.

never had much luck with burners, probably cause I buy the cheap ones.

i would urge you to spend a few extra bucks on a name brand burner with a decent warranty plan. i've seen so many cases of "bargain no name" burners dying way before they should. and, with all the rebate offers you can get these days, you can sometimes end up paying around $40.00 (US) for a $100.00 (US) burner. that's the deal i got with with Best Buy & my TDK burner. cost $110.00, got a $40.00 rebate from Best Buy, a $30.00 rebate from TDK & a 1 year manufacturers warranty. that was a year ago & my burner is still cranking out disks flawlessly. at the same time my both my brother & a friend decided they'd get budget no name burners & were gloating that they only paid 50 bucks for 'em & didn't have to wait for rebates. guess what? they both have new name brand burners now, 'cause their no names died on them.

Chris

Name brand burners may be better now but I had three HP burners die on me. The first an HP4040i went after 0.5 years. The second an HP6060i (futureshop replaced the HP4040i under warrantee) went after another year or so. And the third, an HP7200 (futureshop replaced the HP6060i under warrantee as well) went after about 2.5 years. I do not burn a lot of CDs. In that time I only burnt about 25 CDs total for all three. I then bought a Plextor PlexWriter 16/10/40A and haven't had any problems since (>3 years). And I've burnt many more CDs with the Plextor than the HPs combined.

The funny thing is that the HPs all still write CDs perfectly. They only fail when reading CDs (any CDs). The CDRs I produced after they stopped reading properly work fine in other CDROMs and CDRWs.

Glitz.

It may have been hdc, but is mounted under scd0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

so should I leave that line commented out in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks

and make copies for both, such as, harddiskscd0 and /etc/sysconfig/harddiskhdd and uncomment the dma line? What would this accomplish? Everything was working fine before the burner decided to stop writing.

thanks

I'm working on it.

The worlds biggest reflecting telescope !

Ive a huge collection of coasters, mainly from AOL or MSN posting me FREE 1 Month offers.

So the plan is dig a huge hyperbola and line it with coasters.

Please keep it secret cos if the powers that be find out they'll probably currectly surmise its really a weapon to fire a concentrated beam at the moon.

On a serious note:

Brand names except HP are worth buying. My toshiba 4x is still working and several others I dont even use now BUT all the generic ones died.

I think they might try pushing that little extra speed out where Plextor and Toshiba/etc. don't. Anyway, when your making toasters a few bucks saved on the drive soon gets lost so nowI tend to stick to better names.

HP: Yeah, well. HP Invent is the logo.... but I think HP buy it cheap crap and rebadge it might be closer to the truth.

It may have been hdc, but is mounted under scd0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

so should I leave that line commented out in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks

and make copies for both, such as, harddiskscd0 and /etc/sysconfig/harddiskhdd and uncomment the dma line? What would this accomplish? Everything was working fine before the burner decided to stop writing.

thanks

No, use hda, hdb, hdc, hdd, etc. The drive parameters are applied as The hardware info is picked up from the BIOS early in init.