Which file system to use?

frosterrj

I just installed 9.1 on my PII 366 machine with 256m on a 7GB partition (dual boot with win98).

I chose ext3 this time, but was wondering if there was a better option for my hardware config?

I had ext2 before (8.0, 9.0), but just read somewhere that ext3 was slow.

any opinions welcomed!

ReiserFS all the way. If you enjoy breaking your machine...err... experimenting with your machine, Reiser recovers from a crash without fail and without problems. 8)

Well, as a dissenting viewpoint, for journaling filesystems, I've used Reiser, XFS, and ext3, and Reiser is the only one I've had a catastrophic loss with -- but -- that was more than a year ago, perhaps it is more reliable now (but I'll never trust my data to it again).

3 out X mods agree! 

Reiser FS tastes better!!!

"mods are evil"

but this anti-mod agrees that reiserfs is an excellent filesystem. eDonkey just hung my pc yesterday and had to press the power button. the result is my boot-up time (up to the time fluxbox is completely started) was delayed by 10 seconds. (i have 7 linux partitions, totalling to about 15GB).

ciao!

<shrug> I'm not saying it's a bad FS.  Heck, at one time I raved about it too. You'll never see me using it again, that's all I'm saying.

hey im not implying that you are wrong. you are the voice of caution when it comes to using reiserfs, which is good since it puts everything in balance when it comes to user expectations. :)

ciao!

Well, as a dissenting viewpoint, for journaling filesystems, I've used Reiser, XFS, and ext3, and Reiser is the only one I've had a catastrophic loss with -- but -- that was more than a  year ago, perhaps it is more reliable now (but I'll never trust my data to it again).

How did you figure it was a reiserfs bug (vs a hard drive, partition table, something else)?

There were 3 partitions on the 60g drive. Two ext3, one Reiser. All three were mounted during a power failure. the two ext3 partitions recovered, the ReiserFS partition was toast. I had a relatively recent backup so I didn't lose everything, but nothing would recover the data that wasn't backed up. I had to use low level tools to access data on that drive. I've not experienced any problems with the disk since I changed it to an ext3 FS, so it's not a physical problem.

Well.. accidents always happen I guess.. and no filesystem are foolproof.

Me.. I prefer reiser to ext3 since I think that ext3 is a bit slower than reiser for me. I am dying to try xfs but acronis trueimage doesn't recognize it yet.

True, accidents do happen. This armpit of the world has an average of eight power failures a month, and the accident has never happened with XFS or ext3, so I'm happy where I am. In addition, many of my rescue tools work as is with ext3, but not Reiser. And while Reiser might be a little faster with smaller files, it's actually slower than ext3 on larger files. Since I do extensive video editing, speed with larger files is important to me.

I'm not, in any way, manner, or form saying not to use Reiser, I had good luck with it for a long time - I'm just presenting an alternate viewpoint.

IU use both reiserfs and xfs(xfs for multimedia-files, the rest reiserfs)..and ext3 for my root partition and a recovery takes....a few seconds...the difference with a normal start-uop is not noticeable..I have a 40 gig-drive for linux.

I have almost the same hardware (PII350, 192MB.RAM, 8GB.disk).

I first chose ReiserFS (Mdk7.2), then once briefly tried XFS, and finally went back (Mdk9.1) to ReiserFS.

ReiserFS is my choice (fast, reliable).

Yves.