Which file system to use?

frosterrj

IU use both reiserfs and xfs(xfs for multimedia-files, the rest reiserfs)..and ext3 for my root partition and a recovery takes....a few seconds...the difference with a normal start-uop is not noticeable..I have a 40 gig-drive for linux.

Do you notice any speed increases using XFS for your media files over other filesystems?

IU use both reiserfs and xfs(xfs for multimedia-files, the rest reiserfs)..and ext3 for my root partition and a recovery takes....a few seconds...the difference with a normal start-uop is not noticeable..I have a 40 gig-drive for linux.

Do you notice any speed increases using XFS for your media files over other filesystems?

I want to test it, but not have the chance to do it..(with a benchmark...)(when I have done it I'll post the results).

what I've read about it (older benchmarks...) is that xfs puts lesser load on your system... and is sometimes faster, as fast and in rare cases some slower than reiserfs...

Reiserfs is made for small files....xfs can better handle bigger files as far as I know->multimedia-files are bigger....:)). When I listen to music I mostley also use other programs, so I want that my filesystem toonly puts a small load on my system.

So there should be some speed increase...(lesser load)

So, I think that people that mix music or have a fileserver should try it out...

Xfs is also developed to have a quick recovery when a crash occurs....in the context of servers(btw I read also that xfs is developed so that a cerrtain speed of datatransfer can be assured, this is nit trivial for systems that are controlled by sofware..but I'm not sure about this)..so you can expect it to recover quick....they tell anway( and as far as I know..it is like that)..

I know that this isn't a real response, but I hope it can give you a clearer picture about it.

Guest fubar::chi

reiser used to lose data for me but I don't think it's done that since i switched to the 9.1 version. I think it the same version in both distros but this one just works better. Maybe because i haven't installed reiserfsck-tools ... hmm ...

• 5 months later...

I haven't tried XFS yet, but certainly I found reiser much better than ext3. By experience. The first (or firsts) time I installed mdk (9.1) I used ext3, but my electric line is not that reliable and power failures are not uncommon. With this I found out that ext3 couldn't withstand a single failure. Luckily I still hadn't customized my mdk, so I could easily reinstall it.

But then I decided to make a test: I reinstalled mdk and turned off the computer. The same error occurred again. But it was not enough. I did it again and again and the same error occured. Then I tried ReiserFS and voilá! Nothing happened. I tried and tried and the system was still there, up and running.

However, this absolutely does not mean that reiser is flawless and error-free. In my use, particularly with the mldonkey files. I found out that reiser can corrupt some data. In my case, some files just corrupted and some files did some things crazier, like when one of the files was copied to the other.

That said, I just want to remark that all filesystems have good and bad points. If there was one supreme fs, why would other fs exist? Even better: why would we have this discussion?