getting ready for gentoo

2) my eth0 is not being started.  I can easily fix this after startup by simply loading the appropriate module (tulip) I'm surprised this doesn't happen at startup though - how can I fix this?

Add 'tulip' to /etc/modules.autoload along with all the modules you want to load at boottime. HEre is mine

8139too #ethernet card

emu10k1 #sound

nvidia #nVidia

ide-scsi #scsi emulation for cd burner

usb-ohci #USB controler

Don'T forget to play with /etc/conf.d/net or others so that your network is started at boottime !

You are making really nice progress man !!!

And I second Paul, I compiled my Kernel a couple of times before everything work as I wanted (specially for scsi emulation and frame buffer support). Always keep a working kernel (or partially working kernel) on your system !!!

MOttS

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to work on a nice little FAQ about kernel building and what things are necessary and why. Hopefully it will help those of us going to gentoo.

However, my FAQ will be based on the gentoo-sources kernel, but I'm sure a lot of parts will apply across the board to other kernels.

addition: just as a heads up, this won't be forthcoming till this weekend or later. it's finals week, so i'm pretty busy.

Tyme:

include stuff for iptables... I spent 7 hours waiting for iptable to compile before I realised that I had not included the correct kernel modules.

http://www.shorewall.net/kernel.htm

gives a perfect example of kernel options to use before compiling iptables.

phunni:

after adding tulip to /etc/modules.autoload (or compiling it into your kernel) remember to rc-update add net.eth0 {insert runlevel here}

everyone else:

has anybody else configured their own runlevel ???

I did the obvious and made a runlevel called xstartup and put it on init5 :blush:

1. floppy

add:

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy fat noauto,user 0 0

Thanks

2. X

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :-)

are you using nvidia ???

if so have emerge'd nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel ?  

Not using nvidia - just a simple on board i810 - although that was always up to running RTCW in mandrake (maybe that'll run even better in gentoo...)

So I guess that if I copy my XF86Config-4 into /etc/X11 that'll save me all(some?) of the bother with X config?

I'll do the tulip and dmesg | less a bit later and let you know how I got on. I'm compiling X at present so, it will be a while before I get round to doing anything else on my system :D

I will try to recompile my kernel - although I think I will wait until I have X up and running - make xconfig gives much better help than make menuconfig - this kernel seems ok for the time being

Edit: obviously, my current kernel may not be perfect as evidenced by the errors I have already mentioned - but it will do unitl I get X up and running - at least I hope it will!

Paul: I had the same issues. I've seen this link before, I believe it was given to me by you (or someone else) in another post somewhere. Thanks for reminding me, though. Now I'm off to write programs in Visual Basic for my one class. Damn windows-based classes.

eth0 problems is sorted thank you.

I got a slightly longer look at the startup errors this time - it seems that the file mounting problems are all to do with apparent errors in my /etc/fstab.

This is exactly as posted before (except that I have added a line for the floppy but there son't seem to be any more errors)

About to install fluxbox and begin to get some kind of desktop going

I feel like I'm getting close to a complete working system again!

Wow - it's all starting to look good now - I have a fluxbox desktop with a couple of apps running on it (gkrellm, gaim and a few dock apps)

I now have a few more issues :wink: I figure that if I keep posting my progress, this may help someone else :D

1) I can't get sound to work at all. The module for my sound card is loaded (es1371) but I still get nothing. I seem to remember that there was a sound server in mandrake, but I can't see anyting similar under gentoo. I don't think that my card supports alsa so I was going to install OSS but emerge search oss comes back with nothing helpful

2) I need to set my desktop background - bsetbg-fluxbox does not seem to e installed along with fluxbox. bsetbg on it's own does not work

I will do galeon and evolution overnight and then I can stop surfing the web and getting email via windows - hurrah!

Alsa does support the ES1371 - if you can't find es1371, look for something like

Soundblaster 16 PCI

Soundblaster Ensoniq AudioPCI

Soundblaster PCI 64

Soundblaster PCI 128

plus, alsa emulates the OSS drivers

Interesting. bsetbg and bsetroot both work for me with fluxbox

Sometimes you requires more stuff for a module to work. Here is mine (from lsmod)

emu10k1                55464   1

sound                  50708   0  [emu10k1]

ac97_codec              9384   0  [emu10k1]

soundcore               3300   7  [emu10k1 sound]

Did you 'insmod' or 'modprobe'? Did you install a mixer like Aumix or something? Did you tried .mp3, .ogg, .wav .. ? Did you emerge XMMS ? No idea.

I,m not so helpfull today :(

MOttS

Hurrah! This is my fist post since installing gentoo on my linux machine! Galeon is working nicely and evolution is compiling as we speak. 8)

I fixed the mounting problem (I think) some numbers had gone to the next line in /etc/fstab. I missed this because I thought they were simply being wrapped.

As far as sound goes - I think I will have to recompile the kernel. I did allow for OSS support in my kernel, but I don't think I allowed it for ALSA. I think I need soundcore as a module and this isn't supported

I have installed a plugin for gkrellm which allows me to change the volume and it hasn't made any difference to simply turn the sound up :wink:

I'll probably try recompiling the kernel later and let you know how I get on

Edit: BTW bsetbg seems to work now - still not sure why it didn't before but as long as it does now :lol:

Edit: I guess my first sentence is a bit ambigious - obviously I have posted since gentoo was installed. I meant that this is the first psot made from my linux machine with it's shiny new gentoo linux installation!

congrats.

BTW: Esetroot is much better than bsetbg ... it updates faster and uses a whole lot less resources ....

emerge x11-terms/eterm

and You'll get Esetroot

OK - I'm a little freaked out now...

Sound didn't work last night - I checked thoroughly, but then this morning I heard a strangee sound - it was gaim telling me someone had logged in.

I have not recompiled my kernel or installed anything since last night except galeon and evolution (and dependencies)

This is the second time something didn't work and now, mysteriously, it does (bsetbg being the other)

Hey - gentoo linux is easy to use. If something doesn't work, you just wait for a while and it probably will! :lol:

I have the original bzImage that I first build plus I have built a new kernel (coz I have forgotten something) a few more times since then

I now name my kernels bzImage-{month}{day}{year} example: bzImage-05062003 ... just so I don't forget which one I should be using :blush:  

then you can add entries into grub.conf or lilo.conf

I hope this isn't a stupid question - but can I safely rename the bzImage files as they are i.e. in /usr/src/linux

cp bzImage /boot/bzImage-{month}{day}{year}

I seem to remember seeing something in DOlson's tutorial about changing the extraversion - not necessary?