getting ready for gentoo

uh search the gentoo forum for the link to all the fun and silly optimizations you can do. personally i would drop the -O3 in place of the far more generic -O2. why? because some apps simply will not be able to use it or it will introduce instabilities into your binaries.

i realize alot of people like doing ridiculous optimizations like you quoted but most are pointless:

-march=xxxxxx -O2 -pipe is pretty well al you need. many of those other CFLAGS will pretty well will show up anyway if they can be done.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with sarah31, in Gentoo i just use:

-march=athlon-xp -02 -pipe

i haven't noticed the slightest difference when compared to the Mandrake multimedia kerne I built with an insane amount of optimizations...(boot time excluded, as that has to do with services and not so much kernel/program optimizations)

Well, I moved back to Gentoo. I had it up & running in Gnome in under 12 hours starting from Stage 1.

I forgot to put MTTR in the kernel so I wasn't able to get Nvidia going this morning so I left the kernel compiling when I left for work.

I also left with emergeing Mozilla, Gftp & Xscreensaver to finish up when I get home from lunch.

I just left the CFlags as:

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops

That's what I used in the past and didn't have a problem.

I haven't had time to look yet, but is there some info on etc-update in there doc's? That's a place I feel killed my systems in the past because of poor Admin Decisions.

Mozilla will take forever to compile.

I think etc-update is kinda self explanatory. it lists the config files in /etc that need updated, and let's you either replace all of them or replace some or...i think there are some other options. you don't have to use it, as there are other ways to find out what config files need updating, and you can do it manually.

but, to truly answer your question, i don't know of any etc-update documentation. you could always try the good ol' "man etc-update"

I know that etc-update messed up about 3 or 4 machines in the past and that's when I got tired of it and left the scene.

It was like a hit in run. :cry: I had it happen on 2 machines at the same exact time. Next time I will go throught 20-40 questions and read very carefully what they are going to do.

Let me try to explain what etc-update does (or atleast how I understand it)

when you update packages which already have a config file in /etc emerge/portage/Gentoo/pick one won't overwite your old config files. this is a good thing :-)

it takes the new config files and writes them as /etc/whatever.cfgxxxxx (x's stand for some numbers, usually 00000 but if a 00000 already exists the new one is 00001-or something like that). etc-update is a tool for taking these files and copying them over to replace the old config files. if you don't check those config files and make sure they're setup with the correct options as the previous files, and also don't contain any new options which you don't want or your system doesn't support, things can and will break :-)

in general, after any updates, it's good to take a look at the new config files that have been downloaded, correct them as necessary (while they are still /etc/whatever.cfgxxxxx) and then use etc-update to update them.

Thanks, that make's sense. I really didn't put to much thought into it. I just thought it was a new config file and you wanted to replace the old with it. I didn't realize that you should go in and change settings.

So your saying when you run etc-update and it give's you a list, open up to more xterms and vi the old and new and see what changed? That makes sense, unless I'm wrong :P

Thanks for the clear up.

that's probably the safest way to go about it. it may not always be necessary, but better safe than sorry, no?

i mean, i've used etc-update to update config files with no problems, but I assume some system-specific files may be a bit testy.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I have re-installed gentoo now and am back to a basic system at the end of the install instructions. - no X yet.

Everything seems to be booting ok, except that I get a couple of weird errors that I don't understand:

Seting system clock to hardware clock[uTC]

modprobe: can't locate module /dev/rtc

modprobe: can't locate module /dev/misc/rtc

modprobe: can't locate module /dev/rtc

modprobe: can't locate module /dev/misc/rtc

Cleaning /var/lock, var/run ...

xargs: environment is too large for exec

Anyone know what this means and if I need to worry about this?