getting ready for gentoo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isn't a stupid question - but can I safely rename the bzImage files as they are i.e. in /usr/src/linux  

<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->cp bzImage /boot/bzImage-{month}{day}{year}<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

First of, there is no stupid question man.

Second, yes you can rename it to whatever you want as long as you modify the name of it in /etc/lilo.conf or Grub config file.

MottS

Woo hoo!

OK - we are finally there! I've had a useable system for a few days now, but I finally have all the basics working: sound, graphics and DRM (so I can play games) and printing.

There are still a few minor tweaks to be done, but I now essentially have a complete system running gentoo - and, so far, I see no reason to go back to mandrake!

ML9.1 still runs on my server - couldn't be without printer/internet for the few days it would take to get everything going on that :D

So, I made a :plan:, at times it felt like I was :banghead: but now I'm :headbang: and I :wub: my new gentoo system

yes...more gentoo converts....give in to the urge!

Enjoy. You'll get tired of it and move to a truely powerful distro, just like I did.

Just Kidding. Gentoo is great (But Sourcemage is better)

What errors are you getting with your printing Paul?

I can see the printer in cat /proc/bus/usb/...

I have a ppd driver from linuxprinting.org

I have ghostscript / cups / foomatic / foomatic-rip /hpijs install

cupsd does not detect the driver :-( ... and I add it manually, it comes with no errors, but will not print

I'm getting lots of errors like this in /var/log/cupsd/error_log

d [07/May/2003:16:10:07 +1200] AcceptClient(0x8086340) 0 NumClients = 10

W [07/May/2003:16:10:07 +1200] Possible DoS attack - more than 10 clients connecting from localhost!

and this in /var/log/messages

May  7 15:22:28 firewall hpijs: unable to set paper size=0, err=4 

May  7 15:33:31 firewall hpijs: unable to set DeviceModel=deskjet 3320 

May  7 15:33:31 firewall hpijs: unable to set device=-1, err=16 

May  7 15:33:31 firewall hpijs: unable to read client data err=-2 

May  7 15:37:20 firewall hpijs: unable to set DeviceModel=deskjet 3320 

May  7 15:37:20 firewall hpijs: unable to set device=-1, err=16 

May  7 15:37:20 firewall hpijs: unable to read client data err=-2

hey ...

is there a need for a gentoo board ?

or is http://forums.gentoo.org good enough for us gentoo users?

I was thinking the other day that I might setup a board somewhere else for gentoo users ... WDYT?

if its gonna get used then I'll do it ... but if everyone reckons the gentoo forums are good enough then I won't

Sincerely, no. The forum.gentoo.org board is frequented by LOTS of gentoo users and when I have a question I go there and most of the time I don't have to ask, the question has already been asked and answered. Also, we are not much Gentoo users here on this board so I think the 'Other Linux Distributions' section is enough. Just my 2 cents..

MOttS

Sincerely, no. The forum.gentoo.org board is frequented by LOTS of gentoo users and when I have a question I go there and most of the time I don't have to ask, the question has already been asked and answered. Also, we are not much Gentoo users here on this board so I think the 'Other Linux Distributions' section is enough. Just my 2 cents..

MOttS

i agree. i also use gentoo and forums.gentoo.org is THE place to get all your gentoo questions answered. just like motts said, most of the time you'll find that someone there's already had that problem and that there was a solution for it.

I also agree that we don't need another board - forums.gentoo.org is good enough, although having said that, it's not as friendly as this board; so having the "other distributions" section here is very helpful

:-P I reckon too :#:

alright then ... hopefully us gentoo users won't have any problems anyway :wink:

BTW, I fixed my printing. the stable driver (HPIJS) doesn't support my printer (HP 3325) ... but 1.3.x version of HPIJS does !!!! so emerge /usr/portage/net-print/hpijs/hpijs-1.3.1.ebuild fixed it

• 1 month later...

Can some one tell me what the following MIGHT do and what might break or were I can fine descriptions? Would it be on gcc's home page?

Someone reported having a system working with no problem on an Athlon XP 2000+ with :

Athlon XP 2000+

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3  

-pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop

-frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4 -maccumulate-outgoing-args -ffast-math

-fprefetch-loop-arrays"

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

In the past I used the following and didn't seem to have any problems:

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3

-pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops

What is the rest ?