Mandriva Free

BlG_B0SS

In the mean time while waiting for people to respond to my first post...

Is Mandriva Free supposed to fit on one CD or does it have to be on one DVD? I read somewhere it's either 1 DVD or 3 CD's... I just tried to burn a copy and it said "finished" after I burned only one CD... Do I have everything on this one CD? I don't have a DVD drive btw

Is Mandriva Free supposed to fit on one CD or does it have to be on one DVD? I read somewhere it's either 1 DVD or 3 CD's... I just tried to burn a copy and it said "finished" after I burned only one CD... Do I have everything on this one CD? I don't have a DVD drive btw

Check the name of the iso file that you downloaded. It should indicate which it is.

The 3 CD set consists of three separate iso files which must be downloaded and burned individually. I don't believe that you will get a working system from just one CD.

Jim

thank you sooooo much for replying. finally someone spoke lol.

I would suggest a little more patience. Just because someone hasn't answered your question in 15 or 30 mins doesn't mean that you will not get an answer. We are not bunch of people hanging around waiting for someone to post a question in MUB and in that very minute getting ready to answer.

[We are a bunch of people without real lives and hangin on two dozen forums waiting for someone to ask questions :P ]

Hi big boss.

What you need to remember is that Mandrivausers.org is NOT part of the Company called Mandriva.

We are an entirely volunteer organisation with members from ALL AROUND the world whose main interest is helping other members. We are mostly interested in Mandriva but not exclusively.

Because we live in different parts of the world we are in different time zones. When it is daylight here in Australia it is nightime in Europe.

Also it may be that no one thinks they have a possible solution to your problem so they don't post.

When you fail to get a response after 3 or 4 days then just give another polite plea for help and this usually gets someone diving in even if they think their input won't necessarily help. Often this has a follow on effect and as a result more become involved.

I recently got a problem solution as a result off the combined input from 3 great people and a final bit of experimenting on my part. In other words, four of us solved the problem and the method has now been noted by members for the future if needed. Did I mention that the four of us are from widely spread parts of the World ???. That is the way it works.

If you get impatient and gnarly then no one is really inspired to help. They won't be rude to you in return, that is not the MUB way and is the major reason for many of us being members of MUB and not other sites.

Cheers. John.

jkerr replied to your initial post after 19 minutes -exactly.

If this is too soon for you, then please accept our apologies... :P

We would also like to apologize for not guessing INSTANTLY that you are trying to install Mandriva/KDE to a laptop snatched from an antique museum (Celeron 700 Mhz, 128MB RAM with 8 reserved for VGA) which would normally run KDE ten times slower than a snail, and not load a liveCD at all... we are lucky reading your PC specs at another of your threads. We promise we will be more careful next time!

Edited by scarecrow

hehe... It seems there was little tension caused by the posts I made. You'll have to excuse my impatience I didn't mean to create a disturbance in the community. It's just that I'm used to other forums where a post comes up literally less than a minute after you post. Plus I was kinda boiling after the screen on my brand new Vaio went poof. Again I apoligize for it. I'll try to be more polite.

Oh, and about the live CD requiring 256mb ram - does installing Mandriva onto the hard drive require that much too? This creates a little doubt in my mind about putting linux on my computer. I know that linux is more stable than windows, but WinXP only requires 128 ram. This leads to the ultimate question: Should I stick with XP or should I still go with linux? Oh, and I need the version of linux to be as close to Windows as possible - the person who is actually using that laptop doesn't know anything about computers and won't be able to make any major adjustment to a new operating system. All she needs it for is Word, Excel, PowerPoint, the internet (I know that OpenOffice and FireFox covers those categories) and being able to navigate through folders and documents easily, hence my interest in Mandriva (and a GUI over a CPI). I figured that putting linux on it would make it faster than the current XP. I may possibly be able to get more ram for my laptop. So if doing that will sway your decision, let me know. Also, I did find out where to get the 3 cd set for Madriva Free, but when I tried burning the first cd, I got an error. I think I'm doing it wrong. Do you think you could help me with making the 3 cd set?

So, let me repeat what I have and my question:

128mb ram, Celeron 700 mhz, 10 gb hard drive, 8 mb vram.

1) Windows XP or Mandriva Free?

2) How do I correctly burn the 3 CD Mandriva Free set?

And this time I promise to be more patient when waiting for a response. ;)

Linux is more customizable than Windows so whether or not 128MB is enough is rather depends on your setup. My recommendation is if you don't wanna put more memory in that laptop than don't use KDE or GNOME. The best choice for a lightweight user friendly DE is probably XFCE.

On the other hand I have nothing against WindowsXP. So choose which is best for the person who will actually use that laptop.

For correct CD burning search wiki.mandriva.com (or Google).

Edited by dexter11

I do not run any of my client's computers with less that 512MB RAM using windows. 128MB simply is not usable. Will it boot up? Yes. Is it usable? No. I do not think you will find any computer users who say otherwise. KDE is the desktop to use, but I agree that running the current Mandriva with 128MB RAM is not a good idea. There are other Linux distros that would be better suited for what you are trying to do.

CD burning must be done as an "image." Many people make the mistake of unpacking the iso file first or simply copying it to a disk. But it is an image file and needs to be burned as such.

Windows XP will not run on that Laptop. Mandriva won't run either. Both will probably "install", but they will be unusable.

WinFLP (a modded XP for legacy PC's) will run, but very slowly (and besides that its not sold anywhere- it's only distributed to hardware vendors and big Corporations), and Zenwalk (or any other XFCE4 based distro) will run a bit faster than WinFLP.

Puppy Linux will run great and fast on it... I've been using it succesfully on even weaker PC's with fine performance results. OK, it's darn ugly (most progs used are GTK1 based), but running your desktop at snail speeds is way uglier, IMHO...

Edited by scarecrow

jkerr replied to your initial post after 19 minutes -exactly.

If this is too soon for you, then please accept our apologies... :P

We would also like to apologize for not guessing INSTANTLY that you are trying to install Mandriva/KDE to a laptop snatched from an antique museum (Celeron 700 Mhz, 128MB RAM with 8 reserved for VGA) which would normally run KDE ten times slower than a snail, and not load a liveCD at all... we are lucky reading your PC specs at another of your threads. We promise we will be more careful next time!

You're on a roll! :lol2:

I'm finding that Gnome works better for me than KDE. When I get a Kdesktop error, running a Linux distro direct from a live CD, because it doesn't like desktop wallpaper, which results in no desktop icons, it's time to switch to Gnome. :)

FWIW, Kdesktop runs fine when the desktop wallpaper is turned off... :huh:

I do not run any of my client's computers with less that 512MB RAM using windows. 128MB simply is not usable. Will it boot up? Yes. Is it usable? No. I do not think you will find any computer users who say otherwise.

See specs for Desktop below, Mandriva 2008 runs fine on it, yes it's slow, it is usable and I have not run into an application that has failed to run. There are issues with KDE on such a slow system (see above message), which is why I use the Gnome interface.

I missed a local computer show on Saturday, but if I can find another PC100 128 Mb or 256 Mb DIMM locally, I'll install it. 256 Mb (or 262,144 Kb) is the maximum amount of memory the motherboard will accept.

Edited by edwardp