Mandriva Free

BlG_B0SS

My comment was for windows. Windows XP is not usable with 128MB RAM. You're looking at Win98 or earlier for such a low amount of RAM. Despite Linux being more efficient with memory usage, 128MB is not sufficient for Mandriva 2008. I note that your specs indicate you have 196MB RAM, which is still more than 128MB RAM. :P

Hmm.. the enlightenment 17 desktop (e.g. available from elive) runs well on a 64MB machine, I have been told. But then, e 17 is not really suited for newcomers imho... Try to find out if a very lightweight distro like puppy or xubuntu run well and if they might suit the user.

you can do a LOT in 128MB you just have to be willing to WORK at it.

my brother is using xp on 128MB on a 866MHZ cpu and it runs, very slowly (he has office XP installed as well), but its VERY slow and for me (who runs an X2 at 5600 w/ 4GB of ram) its unusable.

however, for your "friend" you have a few options, some good, some bad.

LinXP is very much like windows xp, I';ve only used it briefly, but it does mimic xp a lot.

however the ULTIMITE (in my opinion) xp look a like is going to be Xabdros.

They have an Open Community Edition thats free, but I spent the $80 and bought the boxed version for several reasons, but primarily because it has a WONDERFUL NTFS interface built in. It os proprietary code (which is why its not ion their free version) written by paragon, thatallows you to plug and play in a windows network as WELL as you can just slap any NTFS drive in the same box and Xandros can read and write it.

personally I keep coming BACK to MDV because bottom line, for ME, it does what i want, the way I want, in the things that are most important to me

xandros HAS a $40 home edition and it WILL "run" on 128MB of ram, but as MANY folks have said, there is a HUGE diffeence between running and being usable:

Processor:

Any Intel Pentium or Celeron processor.

Any AMD K6/II/III, Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP/MP processor.

At least 450 MHz recommended.

RAM:

Min 128 MB required, 256 MB recommended.

1.5 GB available space on hard drive, 3 GB available space recommended.

Additional Requirements:

Bootable CD-ROM

www.xandros.com

I wouldn't really pay $80 to acquire a thing from the past... Paragon-NTFS is darn slow (sometimes even slower than the bugged Captive-NTFS approach). It had its glory days BEFORE ntfs-3g was out, but now it can be safely buried.

Ah, and you can make your Linux desktop looking like XP... KDE, Gnome, XFCE4, JWM, IceWM, FVWM-Crystal... pick the desktop/window manager you like. I think noone will accuse you for having bad taste. And lets not pretend: Even the most minimalistic 2.6.X kernel with a barebones KDE will have a VERY tough time with 128M RAM...