Hands-on Review of Mandriva Flash

mindwave

Yeah, some xenophobic ones and some that are not xenophobic. Same goes for any other country. ;)

let me rephrase that

maybe i'm coming off as a stereotypically xenophobic american.

i'm a gun toten flag wavin reagan votem republican card carrying citizen of the good ol u s of a.

and unfortunately sometimes people feel that we all are like the good ol bubba boys, but is not liek that, heck one of my best friends name IS bubba (well actually its ralph, but ya cant play football wih a name like ralph)

the idea being that i have become accustomed to a certain level of service and or satisfaction.

the reason that i moved away from windows was because i got tired of paying bill gates to allow me the honor of beta testing his software.

so in the Linux world when a small group from the netherlands can out perform, out program and out customer service an international company that wants my $, i have a problem.

not with MCNL they are awesome, and if you havent tried it you owe it to yourself BEFORE you buy the M Flash.

But having made THAT mistake i now want i to WORK, plin and sinple. I dont expect perfection, but i dont expect a series of compunding errors that lead to complete unuseability and then to be denied service by the e people that sold it to me.

this thread for example. was moved from whereveer i posted it, to here. awesome, someon felt that THIS Was a better place for it and that perhaps better discussion and better responses would ensue.

how much EASIER could it be in a corp to take my FIRST email, from thursday, and instead of telling me i'm in the wrong place, to say, "hey heres a better place for ths, but as long as i have it, let me sen it in the right direction for you, so that you get faster service"

i work in a building with 10,000 people in it, if ANYONE on my team EVERY declined to assist someone, even by merely patching them through to the people that they need, they would rapidly find themselves counting ONE of the THREE strikes that my company allows.

its all about managing expectations.

wel that and a product that works

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread for example. was moved from whereveer i posted it, to here. awesome, someon felt that THIS Was a better place for it and that perhaps better discussion and better responses would ensue.

how much EASIER could it be in a corp to take my FIRST email, from thursday, and instead of telling me i'm in the wrong place, to say, "hey heres a better place for ths, but as long as i have it, let me sen it in the right direction for you, so that you get faster service

mindwave:

Are you aware that this forum is not comprised of Mandriva employees? To my knowledge, there are no Mandriva employees who regularly visit this forum.

I believe this forum has Mandriva employees:

http://forum.club.mandriva.com/index.php?op=En

mindwave, You didn't receive help from Mandriva Club either?

I AM aware that this is not a mandriva employee forum, trust me.

i get a WHOLE lot more help from this and other forums that I do from mandriva empoyees.

I am a memeber of the M-club, and actaullay was a paying member for about 18 months.

I posted the review here, for several reasons.

#1 to let anyone who is considering buying one of these that there are issues with the device

#2 it is not exactly as advertised (the space issue)

#3 there ARE free alternatives out there

#4 in hopes that MAYBE someone has had similar issues and was able to resolve them WITHOUT returning the device (if mine goes back its going for good)'

#5 on the off chance that an employee of theirs peruses the site and would see the issues being had.

this site has a GREAT deal of useful information, and it would seem logical 'to me' that the corp would keep an eye on sites LIKE this for the GOOD information being passed, as well as for the BAD experiences that some folks may be hving.

I have about a half a dozen posts in the club forum and have 3 help tickets open with tech support right now.

as of THIS moment i havent received ANYTHING from corp other than the 3 emails that were mentioned previously.

the 1st was the one that came back marked "refused" when i realized that it was backordered and i tried to CANCEL my order and the other 2 from what is apparently "commercial" support, who instead of forwarding my information TO the right people,instead replied back that it wasnt their area and i should seek help elsewhere.

someone on one of the other posts had issue with the fact that i was being impatient 'since its the weekend' well that may be true, but since the english corporate forum was unavailable most of the weekend, it certainly compunds my aggrevation.

now here we are on monday morning, still no response and i dare anyone to try and defend them by stating that paris is observing MLK day.

heck if anything I should be at home.......

I just made a post there, we'll see what happens. All I'm trying to do is burn Audio CDs with K3B using FLAC files. Everyone here has given me all kinds of ways around the issue but not how to get K3B to burn using FLAC. Now I just learned from my brother Ixthusdan that in his 2007 ver. he can burn audio CDs using FLAC. I may have to upgrade, for now I would like to keep 2006 and modify K3B... if possible.

I just made a post there, we'll see what happens. All I'm trying to do is burn Audio CDs with K3B using FLAC files. Everyone here has given me all kinds of ways around the issue but not how to get K3B to burn using FLAC. Now I just learned from my brother Ixthusdan that in his 2007 ver. he can burn audio CDs using FLAC. I may have to upgrade, for now I would like to keep 2006 and modify K3B... if possible.

well mine has been in "expert " for almost 48 hours and the only one who has even LOOKED at it , is me, and that to add more to it.

however in the forum i do have one offer of assistance which if it works will be heaven sent.

j

I bought my first Mandrive (mandrake 8.1) It promised 30 days free technical support. I posted two questions and neither were answered. Fortunately I was able to figure them out myself.

so (i just want to make sure i understand)

you PAID $ to mandrake (this was before the name change) which would have been at least 2 years ago. for a product WITH paid tech support.

enetered a support request, and NEVER received ANY reply from TS?

see this seems to be WAY to common for a company thats asking us for $ when there are so MANY distros out there w/ 100% user supported tech service.

does anyone even have a phone number for mandriva?

I have friday off, I'm willing to make some phone calls!

this is really a shame because there REALLY is a LOT to like about mandriva

this is really a shame because there REALLY is a LOT to like about mandriva

Yep and a lot of us agree.....

The problem is not the actual product in most cases but the communication.

If someone actually spoke to you or answered an email and said they were working on it then ... well you'd feel less pissed. Look on the bight side my email is now going on 5 years ! Yes support like mystie ... and they said "Try Mandriva expert" ... and the probloem ... the CD's I had were unreadble (and not even properly round)

The problem is not the actual product in most cases but the communication.
Agreed. The product has been very buggy for some time. That improved, but sadly their communication had not improved a lot for years.

does anyone even have a phone number for mandriva?

I have friday off, I'm willing to make some phone calls!

I'd have to dig out my documentation, but when you buy Power Pack there's a toll-free number for customer support in the manual.

If you get through to a human being, ask them to return my call from from four years ago.

;)