What Cordless Keyboard and mouse?

sjaglin

Hi there,

It s Christmas and my birthday is just a few days before! So like every year I am stuck on what to ask Santa for. I ve decided to get a cordless desktop set as keyboard and mouse.

I don t really want to get musch hassle to look for drivers for that though, so If anyone could give me hints on which set to choose that would be a great help.

The budget is £40 -£50 quids and I usually get my stuff from ebuyers. I currently have a Microsoft internet pro KBD (usb).

Thanks a bunch!

Stef

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

I use a Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse that came as part of a set and they're working fine with Mandriva.

Although, best thing is check your battery life. Logitech do some good ones, and I think they even come with charging points (I think).

My Microsoft mouse goes through batteries every few months, but the keyboard is still on it's first set! I bought my MS Keyb/Mouse combo from Dabs.com. UK site of course :P (as they do French as well). And I think I bought an OEM one, which was much cheaper (just in brown box instead of fancy one).

You should be fine with virtually any as long as they are PS2 connections (not tried the USB). I have a A4 Tech set which has rechargable batteries & boy am I pleased that they do... This set I have are very cheap (probably like me!) & are a couple of years old but work excellently.

HTH

I have an economy wireless which works just fine in Linux. I also agree that you should attach the pick-up thru ps/2 rather than usb. Most of them allow either option. (Actually, mine attaches thru both ps/2 keyborad and usb for mouse, two connections for the one wireless pick-up)

I had a Belkin set that was rubbish, the mouse seemed to get through batteries in next to no time and the signal strength/receiver was appalling as it was less than a metre away with no obstructions and still kept dropping the signal.

Leo

I had a Belkin set that was rubbish, the mouse seemed to get through batteries in next to no time and the signal strength/receiver was appalling as it was less than a metre away with no obstructions and still kept dropping the signal.

Leo

Yep its worth paying for the genuine article else the batteries seem to be constantly failing...

Really anything that presents itself as a mouse/keyb not as a bluetooth device should be fine...

I have no probs with USB ones except on some hardware... this can sometimes be a pain under boot menu's by not having the control if USB keyb support is off .. and on some HW when you turn it on problems start!

The biggest probs seem to be ones with built in hubs... in my experience

Thanks,

I will keep looking with all that in mind. The one I have at the moment is PS2 and USB (for the hub), I will try to find a ps2 one as it avoids obstructing the USBs...

I'd like a Microsoft, I ve always been happy with MS hardware, shame about their software ( :lol2: )

Stef

:D

Since Microsoft keyboards are manufactured by Logitech under contract, why not buy Logitech directly and deny Microsoft any of your hard earned cash.

This is the reason Logitech do not mention their products are Linux compatable. It is either fear of losing the contract or more likely part of the Windows contract.. Microsoft does not manufacture anything at all, it is entirely done by contract with outside manufacturers.

Personally speaking I have used cordless and they are an expensive waste of time and money. The idea seems good at the time until you realise that you are constantly spending on batterys or repeatedly charging batterys.

The ONLY cordless mouse I would ever consider is the Logitech one that has a recharge stand that you place the mouse in when not using it, right near the mouse pad.

Have a great birthday and Christmas.

Cheers. John.

Thanks John!

I didn t realise that MS was actually manufactured by logitech, I ll get one of those then!

For the batteries I don t worry too much, I charge them during long car trips or with the sun (i-sun) so it's ok.

Cheers, have a merry christmas too!

Stef

:D

Since Microsoft keyboards are manufactured by Logitech under contract, why not buy Logitech directly and deny Microsoft any of your hard earned cash.

reference? I call bull :)

I'd buy logitech if they made the MS Natural Ergonomic Pro 4000. This keyboard is just awesome.

I'm more than happy to buy microsoft hardware, they're actually quality devices.

This house runs on intellimice. Between all the computers we've had over the years here we have had:

Original IntelliMouse, Original Optical Intellimouse, 3x Intellimouse Optical V1.1, Wireless Intellimouse Explorer V2.0, Intellimouse Laser

And they all still work. assuming the optical v1.1 that my brother lost last year still works too.

My current keyboard, the aforementioned ergonomic model is just awesome, I can't reap enough praise on it. I no longer experience any discomfort in my wrists, nor pains that I had on standard layouts, it's more comfortable than any other keyboard i've ever used, and because of the great layout of the keyboard, I type faster than ever too. All the extra keys work in linux too.

This is the reason Logitech do not mention their products are Linux compatable. It is either fear of losing the contract or more likely part of the Windows contract.. Microsoft does not manufacture anything at all, it is entirely done by contract with outside manufacturers.

Any name brand - with very few exceptions (I can't think of any, but a small handful probably exist) - uses the standard usbhid or psmouse interfaces, and widespread, well supported protocols, so they all will work with linux. Whether they advertise it or not shouldnt really matter because of that fact.

Personally speaking I have used cordless and they are an expensive waste of time and money. The idea seems good at the time until you realise that you are constantly spending on batterys or repeatedly charging batterys.

The ONLY cordless mouse I would ever consider is the Logitech one that has a recharge stand that you place the mouse in when not using it, right near the mouse pad.

Got a microsoft wireless mouse here, 2 AA batteries, i've only replaced them 2 or 3 times with cheap supermarket brand batteries, and it's about 10 months old. So say 6 batteries for a year, that's a pack and a half, 7.50 bucks, that's bugger all.

We keep a stash of these spare in the cupboard, because so many devices use AA, so that's removed any inconvenience here. Of course, I could just pull our battery recharger out of the cupboard, but the disposables last longer and are more convenient

Range? great. 10m line of sight easily, and a good few meters when blocked.

As much as I dislike Microsoft, I can't fault their input devices. They're quality hardware. They don't break, they work damned well, great to use and are all I will buy as long as they remain as such.

James

Edited by iphitus

Yep and if you want to cost MS some money... my MS keyb says... call 1-800-360-7561 to request a free cdrom ...

Like I said earlier batteries are not a prob on the logitech ones Ive had... 6 months-yr on 2xAA and its just not worth using rechargables at that... and all the MS mice have been corded so can't comment except they are well constructed and work forever...

On the other hand I bough a cheapo wireless mouse the other month as a 2nd mouse.. (for using when using projector) and threw it away 2 weeks later after 2 battery changes...

Thanks John!

I didn t realise that MS was actually manufactured by logitech, I ll get one of those then!

For the batteries I don t worry too much, I charge them during long car trips or with the sun (i-sun) so it's ok.

I use Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse. It has worked perfectly with every Linux distro I have tried (including live CDs). The transmitter has a PS2 and USB connector so you can choose what suites you best.

My point was not that the Microsoft Keyboards or Mice were inferior quality. Clearly they are not and since Microsoft sets the specs for the style for their products it shows why there is such a difference in appearence. The Logitech products are/were not just rebranded to Microsoft. The main thing about Logitech is that it is the leading hardware designer, innovator and manufacturer of keyboards and mice(just to name two products) with some software design. Microsoft isn't.

By the way I just spent the past 2hours googling trying to find the Logitech/Microsoft manufacturing agreement articles but couldn't find them again. I started with computers about Nov 98 and I remember seeing the articles some time 1999, 2000 or 2001. At the time I had not yet discovered Linux so I wasn't anti Windows but the story just stuck in my mind. Later in 2003/2004 I found some references to the original story again but never thought or needed to keep the references. I wish I had now. I think with my naive pottering around in earlier days I had more success than I have had today with a lot more experience. I seem to remember something about Ask Jeeves or Ask Mr. Jeeves or whatever the old search engine was before I started googling. They may not even be under contract any more judging by a lot of the Logitech and Microsoft data I saw covering 2004/05/06.

Iphitus. The line you quoted still stands no matter who the heck makes Microsoft products. If you are happy to support Microsoft by buying their products, then BULLy for you. :)

Cheers. John.

Thanks John!

I use Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse. It has worked perfectly with every Linux distro I have tried (including live CDs). The transmitter has a PS2 and USB connector so you can choose what suites you best.

Aye, have something similiar. Logitech Cordless keyboard + optical cordless rechargable mouse.

My mouse batteries can go on for around 2 weeks max. then it have to recharge for some hours. So it's a good deal.

The main thing about Logitech is that it is the leading hardware designer, innovator and manufacturer of keyboards and mice(just to name two products) with some software design. Microsoft isn't.

Not quite. Guess where I first saw the scroll wheel, or the optical mouse, or the tilt wheel (<->). Microsoft Mice. While Microsoft did not invent these, they brought them to the mainstream. Not innovation, but a greater change and effect than those who invented them.

By the way I just spent the past 2hours googling trying to find the Logitech/Microsoft manufacturing agreement articles but couldn't find them again. <snip>

that's fine :) I'll take your word, but i doubt it.

Iphitus. The line you quoted still stands no matter who the heck makes Microsoft products. If you are happy to support Microsoft by buying their products, then BULLy for you. :)

Cheers. John.

Yup! Ultimately, I'm a consumer, and just care for getting the best product -- the politics and religion behind the company has no impact in my hardware choice. Software? If linux didnt perform to my needs, I wouldnt use it. But it does, and fulfills them better than windows can.

James