Mandriva 2006 -> 2007

Patkos Csaba

Mandriva 2007 Final will be soon released, so I'm curiouse what do you recommand for a computer that now is haveing mandriva 2006.

In my case I have a lot of personal configurations and andless little programs installed, downloaded form the internet, that I'd not like to hunt down again, or even to start and reinstall all of them from cd... Basicly, I would like to have everithing Mandriva 2007 will have + all personaly installed applications & datas from Mandriva 2006.

Awaiting your sugestions. Thanks.

There are two easy ways, one requires an internet connection, the other you can do using the CD/DVD.

If you want to do over the internet, just do:

urpmi.removemedia -a

to remove 2006 sources. Then go to the easyurpmi link at the top of this page and configure mirrors for 2007. Do for all available sources, main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree. Then update with this command:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

Otherwise, just put in the CD/DVD that you downloaded and burnt, and then install as normal choosing upgrade when prompted.

Clean installs are recommended though, but you can upgrade no problems, and you might only get some slight niggles of things that don't work correct.

EDIT:

As ffi says, make sure you backup your data first just in case. However, the two methods work OK for upgrading, clean installs are preferred though, mainly because of all the changes from one version to another.

Hi Patkos,

when you're able to choose freely, I'd recommend the CD/DVD method and upgrade the system all in once. One reason is, you get your kernel updated just as well and at the same time as all packages.

I've done step by step upgrades regularly with at least every major version since Mandrake 8.0 was out and never ran into fatal errors using CDs. Just be careful with partitioning: Choose the manual variant and don't let the routine touch your /home partition. You can simply remount and reuse it, but take note of partition names before updating (check "less /etc/fstab" or use diskdrake).

Personal configuration for applications which store your options in $HOME cause fewest problems. You may have to do some adjustustment for standard repository software. Most issues are likely to emerge in /etc with this one. But it depends on how far is your system away from an out of the box version here. New config files/variants are inserted with .rpmnew suffix by default leaving your old settings intact. But some of them will have changed, be obsolete etc. in the new version. At least keep an eye on software which took major steps (shorewall for instance).

If you have a lot of software installed deriving from other sources, well, it depends on how robust is their source layout: Are they capable to find and use newer system libraries than the ones shipped with 2006? It's impossible to make a guess here: You may be lucky and they all run like before, but probably you have to recompile at least some of them. There's also changes of the software available: Stuff you've installed before using tarballs may be available in the contrib branch (or even in main?) now. So you maybe like to check which packages 2007 offers in detail before.

Good luck,

scoonma

Edited by scoonma

• 8 months later...
Guest Phil Hudson

I did the network upgrade. Two issues I've been unable to resolve after >24hrs:

1. My DVD drive appears still to be visible to the system in some fashion, but none of the media playback apps can access the content of discs that were known to work on the same system before upgrade and that still work on other systems. I say the drive still appears to be visible: it appears as device "/dev/hdc" in the hardware config GUI, correctly identified as type DVD, but when a disc is inserted, /dev/hdc does not appear in the output of the command "mount". Is /etc/fstab what I need to futz with?

2. The system no longer logs users into X. Instead, I get a command-line login prompt. I then run "startx", but in the resulting KDE session I can no longer directly shut down or restart, I can only end the session and revert to terminal mode. I'm reluctant just to add "startx" to the users' login scripts because the KDE session's menus no longer include the "Shutdown" and "Restart" commands; I don't want my family members, who are the main users of the system, to have to use the command line. Is /etc/passwd what I need to futz with?

System data:

Toshiba Tecra 8100

512MB RAM

Two partitions:

/ with 608.6 MB free

/home with 1.1 MB free

stone (~) phil 5% uname -a

Linux stone 2.6.12-12mdk #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) unknown GNU/Linux

stone (~) phil 6% sysctl -a

dev.cdrom.check_media = 0

dev.cdrom.lock = 0

dev.cdrom.debug = 0

dev.cdrom.autoeject = 0

dev.cdrom.autoclose = 1

dev.cdrom.info = CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

dev.cdrom.info =

dev.cdrom.info = drive name: hdc

dev.cdrom.info = drive speed: 24

dev.cdrom.info = drive # of slots: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can close tray: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can open tray: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can lock tray: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can change speed: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can select disk: 0

dev.cdrom.info = Can read multisession: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can read MCN: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Reports media changed: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can play audio: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can write CD-R: 0

dev.cdrom.info = Can write CD-RW: 0

dev.cdrom.info = Can read DVD: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can write DVD-R: 0

dev.cdrom.info = Can write DVD-RAM: 0

dev.cdrom.info = Can read MRW: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can write MRW: 1

dev.cdrom.info = Can write RAM: 1

dev.cdrom.info =

dev.cdrom.info =

There are two easy ways, one requires an internet connection, the other you can do using the CD/DVD...

Guest Phil Hudson

Should have read 1.1 GB

Mandriva 2006 Free is what I installed, just about a year ago, from a cover-mount 3-disc installer.

I'm in the process of diffing old /etc config files. Will post anything useful. Similar contributions gratefully received.

Your kernel is from 2006, you need to upgrade it to a newer one from 2007. First:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

get the format of the filename, and then:

urpmf --name kernel

look at the files that look similar to the one you are using in 2006, and upgrade to the latest, something like:

kernel-2.6.17.18mdv

or something along those lines depending on what the latest is.

Guest Phil Hudson

Thanks Ian. Am I right in thinking that the command for this would be "rpm -U <kernel-package-name>"?

Your kernel is from 2006, you need to upgrade it to a newer one from 2007.
Edited by Phil Hudson

Yep, the rpm command I gave was to check what was installed.

urpmi will install a package that is in the urpmi repository. urpmf will find a package in the repository and urpme will remove packages installed. urpmq can query a bit like the rpm -q command, with some added functionality.

For example:

urpmq -i packagename

will display some info on that package.