Opinions about latest Mandriva versions?

Darkelve

Having "lost sight" of Mandriva since 9.2, I'm curious as to what major changes there are in the latest versions of Mandriva, if you guys like it and if you like or dislike the direction Mandriva is taking.

Just spit it out! :)

Darkelve

Mandriva 2006 has KDE 3.4 and Gnome 2.10 (I can't go through all packages and versions :D ). I actually prefer this version to any of the previous releases.

And I'm really looking forward to Mandriva 2007.

Same here. As you might know, I do test many distros now and then and from a normal end-users perspective, I still think that Mandriva is still one of the best out-of-the-box options currently available, despite the little annoyances it has here and there (nobody is perfect).

It might not have the lastest bells and whistles, but it has been very reliable for me and never broke. And what I see from 2007 is impressive. Latest KDE and Gnome, lightning fast booting, very responsive apps, minimal RAM usage. I think 2007 could be the best Mandriva release we have ever seen and set the pace for other distros ... if they don't do something horribly wrong during the next two months at Mandriva.

Same here. As you might know, I do test many distros now and then and from a normal end-users perspective, I still think that Mandriva is still one of the best out-of-the-box options currently available, despite the little annoyances it has here and there (nobody is perfect).

It might not have the lastest bells and whistles, but it has been very reliable for me and never broke. And what I see from 2007 is impressive. Latest KDE and Gnome, lightning fast booting, very responsive apps, minimal RAM usage. I think 2007 could be the best Mandriva release we have ever seen and set the pace for other distros ... if they don't do something horribly wrong during the next two months at Mandriva.

Sounds good. Looks like I've have to try Mandriva again when the time comes.

Arctic, any plans of a review of the a beta version of Mandriva 2007?

Shame they didn't listen to our requests that arctic sent asking them to remove the "free" from the graphics. And the dated galaxy theme.

I wonder what else didn't get listened too hmmmm. I'll wait for the stable full release, don't wanna mess with a beta. Although the review seems a bit harsh.

Not a very fair review I believe, judging a distro by 2 broken apps, I am using it right now and most things seem to work. The items in the menu not showing up is a known issue to becose of the menu migration which has not been completed yet.

Artwork btw will not be changed untill final....

Yes, the review is a bit harsh. I use the Gnome version and have not encountered any real showstopper so far (except rpmdrake being broken and some minor bugs in Gnome and Firefox). My apps do work btw.

ffi is correct. The artwork will be changed later (as I already explained in another thread).

I will not write a review on this beta but I plan to write a peek (p)review when cooker gets frozen, thus 2007 available (if my time allows it).

Yes, the review is a bit harsh. I use the Gnome version and have not encountered any real showstopper so far (except rpmdrake being broken and some minor bugs in Gnome and Firefox). My apps do work btw.

RPMDrake is broken but Smart and Synaptic work and maybe Yum too, though I didnt try that one yet.