Ethernet LAN card with MDK 10.1 [solved]

payasam

If you have a Realtek 8139 card it's not operating across fibre. You have standard copper cables, so it's just going to be whatever speed your card detects as it's a 10/100 ethernet card.

Keep us informed of how you get on with harddrake, and obtaining internet connection in Windows. I think it's PPPOE based from the way the setup looks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do, Ianw. This fibre optic cable stuff is either a complete fiction or else refers to how signals are carried to a point at which copper takes over. Now to wrestle with Harddrake and kppp.

No hurry, Ianw. I'll do the Windows scene first.

IDENTIFICATION

Vendor: (null)

Description:

Media Class: NETWORK_ETHERNET

CONNECTION

Bus: PC1

Bus PC1#: 1

PCI device#: 0

PCI function#: 0

Vendor ID: 6404

Device ID: 8241

Sub vendor ID: 65535

Sub device ID: 65535

MISC

Module: unknown

By the way, I tried and tinkered and messed about, but I couldn't manage to receive or send anything in MDK.

OK, try modprobe 8139too at the prompt and see if it helps to get your network up and running this way.

Do an ifconfig -a after and see if it appears.

Oh, and let me know how it goes with Windows connecting, and what you do there, so we can figure out what is required in Linux.

Ianw, the hardware chappie just left. What I told you earlier was all wrong, because what I'd been told was all wrong. The set-up is not straight but through an ADSL modem. In Windows, there's no desktop icon: instead, I connect by going to the service of the site through a browser. I went to set up Pegasus Mail for POP3 and SMTP, but while I can send messages I cannot receive them. Never even heard of such a thing. The boy who came was handicapped by the fact that the system has been changed recently but he hasn't been told of the changes. Also, he did not seem familiar with mail programs, presumably because so many people do their e-mail through browsers. He put me on to a senior man who was a damn sight worse: not only did he not know a thing, he confidently gave me all the wrong instructions. Other programs, accounts, browsers are working OK. End of ageing man's grumbling. Shall I still do the modprobe and ifconfig things? Also, I'd like to get kppp to work again, since I'd then have our ordinary land-line as a standby.

Yeah, need to figure out why the network card doesn't automatically work in Linux. If it's not appearing in HardDrake clearly, we need to get the module loaded manually, and then see how the network card appears after this.

Ianw, the problem with Pegasus (and two other mail programs) was that my anti-virus thing, AVG Free Edition, wasn't expecting mail over LAN. When finally my brain began to function, I fixed that and all is well.

As for Mandrake, here's something I found on another forum. It's precisely what happened to me.

“I've tried using the 8139too driver that came with LinuxMandrake, but when I select it, it says it's installing, but it actually goes back to the screen where I say that I want to choose the driver manually. I'm in a never-ending loop.”

Devries and Ianw, you've both asked me to try a modprobe. Afraid that'll have to wait for something between 60 and 70 hours, that being my estimate of the time needed to download the three ISOs of 2006. Doing it in Windows. Once they're in and written to CD, I'll have to figure out if I must install from scratch or if I can upgrade 10.1. Never fear, I'll throw a dozen more problems (each) your way.

Ianw, Devries, I'm back. I went out for a couple of hours, and when I returned I found that my Net connection had broken and I had only 15 MB or so of the first ISO. Decided against 2006. Not a tragedy, since I'm quite content with 10.1. Will get out of Windows and into MDK and do the modprobe and the ifconfig. Don't know if I'll be able to set up the connection by hand -- though I'm much happier at console level than I am in MCC.

modprobe 8139too may have done something, but there was no output.

ifconfig -a did give an output, but I don't know how to direct such things into a file or how to copy and paste stuff from the console, and I was too tired to write it all down and then type it in here.

This is the content of the readme.txt file of a driver which I downloaded and unzipped. Don't know if it'll be useful.

----

8139too.c release note

2001/10/31 by ShuChen Shao

1.This driver was originally based on 8139too.c version "0.9.15".

2.It has been enhanced to support RTL8139C+ PCI ethernet controller.

3.RTL8139C+ PCI ethernet chips is set to support C+ mode by default.

If FORCE_C_Mode below is enabled, the RTL8139C+ chip will be forced to support C mode

after reboot.

4.This program can be compiled using the attached Makefile.

Please remember to SPECIFY "NEW_INCLUDE_PATH" in Makefile according to your linux environment.

The object file named 8139too.o should be moved to the directory

/lib/modules/<linux-version>/kernel/drivers/net/

The driver could be brought up by the following steps:

'insmod 8139too'

'ifconfig eth0 up'

5.It can support Auto-Negotiation ability,that is

10-half 0x01

10-full 0x02

100-half 0x04

100-full 0x08

If 10-half mode is expected, it can be achieved by the following steps:

#ifconfig eth0 down

#rmmod 8139too

#insmod 8139too media=0x01

6.If the "Install Type", selected during the Linux install procedure, is "laptop",

this driver can work normally for CardBus application without any modification.

Otherwise, reinstall Linux and select "Install Type" as "laptop".

Then this driver can also work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8139too.c version 1.5.0 release note

2003/3/4 by ShuChen Shao

1.Add flag in Makefile to specify access type to operation register on PCI

ethernet chips.

----

The readme.txt of the other driver -- the one which came with the LAN card -- has far less information.

I had hoped, Ianw and Devries, that on seeing that I had abandoned the 2006 scheme, you would hoof me in the right direction. I should say that on the off chance that that might help, I over-wrote 10.1 with itself: "repair" was the word, I think. When I tried to select LAN settings, I found myself in the same endless loop. No damage to my other software, by the way: except that the dial-up modem wasn't recognised since it wasn't there any longer. I shall now look for ways of piping command output to files and cutting and pasting.

[EDIT] What an ass I am. More than 18 months on MDK, and I hadn't realised that the mouse cursor worked in console. Thought it was as it is at the DOS prompt. Well, here we are:

-----

(Output of ifconfig -a)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:368 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:368 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:26430 (25.8 Kb) TX bytes:26430 (25.8 Kb)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4

NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

-----

(Two other commands, found on another forum)

[root@localhost albert]# dmesg |grep eth <no output>

[root@localhost albert]# ifup eth0

/sbin/ifup: configuration for eth0 not found.

Usage: ifup <device name>

-----

As I’ve already said, no output of modprob 8139too.

Edited by payasam

Have I been thrown to the few remaining tigers in the jungles of my country? Googling said that modprobe adds or removes modules and that ifconfig configures network interfaces. The arguments to be given to each remain a mystery. There's another bit of confusion. One "technical" chap of the service provider said, positively, that I'd have a static IP address; and another said, equally positively, that it would be dynamic. I've looked it up three times now, disconnecting and re-connecting, and it has been the same.

Sorry for late reply, been offline for last two days. First, try:

modprobe 8139too.

then after this, check it's loaded:

lsmod | grep 8139too

this will filter, if nothing returned, module is not loaded. Or, just "lsmod" on it's own to get a full listing, and check if it's there.

ifcfg-eth0 probably won't exist, unless it's been created. Once the module is loaded successfully, go into mcc, networking, and add new lan connection, and select the 8139too entry that should appear now the module is loaded.