• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negative, Ian. See what I had all ready to send you:

* uname -a gave 2.6.8.1-12mdk

* ls -l /usr/src gave

total 4

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 ..<date>.. RPM/

* urpmi kernel-source asked for CD3 but did not give any options. It installed 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk.

* In the Makefile, I put in 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk in place of the example. You had said nothing specific, only that /usr/src/linux on your machine pointed to a particular directory. On mine, it pointed to what I put in.

* Make gave warnings or reported errors such as "will break strict-aliasing rules", "use of compound values ... deprecated", "unused variable 'ret'".

* Make install simply said: "No rule to make target 'install'. Stop."

The kernel version and the kernel source are obviously different. I cannot say what is the cause of this. Perhaps I downloaded an update from the Internet at some time. Nor do I understand this "rule" business.

Life is a glob of well masticated bubble gum and I am at the centre of it. Maybe I should give up. Do all my Net stuff from Windows for the present. After all, I can pull files from there into Mandrake and put in others. Don't have the time, energy or inclination now to do a fresh install of 2006.

No, it just seems that urpmi defaulted to a 2.4 kernel for some reason.

Remove, using:

urpme kernel-source

and then to check and make sure you get the correct one:

urpmf --name kernel-source-2.6

then choose the one that matches your kernel source specifically. Something like:

kernel-source-2.6.8.1-12mdk or something.

Will do, Ian. If this doesn't work, I stick my tail between my legs and scurry away. A question, really, of how far one is prepared to go. I have a working connection on one side and I can manage with it. If getting to connect on the other side takes so much time and effort that I can't use the machine for its regular work, not worth the bother.

I had this for about a year with my wireless. It wouldn't work, eventually after a year I came back to it, and it all worked fine. However, this was with 2006 rather than 10.1 or LE2005 because I had nothing but problems.

Plus in this time period, I managed to learn a lot more about Linux itself, and feel a bit more comfortable with things that didn't work when I knew nothing. Sometimes it's worth just waiting until you feel the time is right.

Also, new hardware and old versions are not going to work. This is also another reason for waiting. That way, when a new version comes out, chances are the hardware you had that didn't work, will now work, quickly and easily with the least amount of effort compared to previously.

I know, of course, not the best solution, but sometimes it's just a case of biting the bullet, and coming back to it later.

What you say is correct, Ian, but as people grow older they become reluctant to learn new things for the reason that working with what they know already makes it possible to get more work done despite declining energy. Certain productivity becomes more attractive than the not so certain kind.

But down to specifics. Here's what I got after urpme and urpmf. You'll see that my machine is not exactly new: a 1 GHz P3.

[root@localhost albert]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.8.1-12mdk #1 Fri Oct 1 12:53:41 CEST 2004 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) unknown GNU/Linux

-----

[root@localhost albert]# ls -l /usr/src

total 8

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Mar 1 13:49 linux -> linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk/

drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Mar 1 13:48 linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk/

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 24 15:07 RPM/

-----

Make ran rapidly, saying things like "No member named driver_data" and ending with "Error 1".

Make install ran (or did not run) as before.

Does the stuff beginning with "total 8" say what source is installed or what is merely present in the machine? I ask because the urpmf command brought in an RPM file. I cannot find it. In the linux sub-dir under usr/src/linux there is a README which sets out how the source is to be compiled and installed.

By the way, I've begun again to download the first of the three ISOs of 2006. Expect to get each in rather over 20 hours. My experience of buying the things has not been good. People claim to want no more than the cost of the media and postage; but I know what blank CDs and courier services cost, and there's no comparison. Besides, on two of three occasions I've been sent corrupted files.

I can verify your kernel-source is installed correctly. The directories in /usr/src reflect the version under uname -a that you ran, so all is OK there.

I think something must be missing as to why this module won't compile. Maybe 2006 would be a better option, to check and get working on your machine.

I would suggest a clean installation rather than an upgrade of your existing Linux version. Just make sure you copy your data somewhere safe if you have any under Linux.

Right, Ian, if the kernel source is OK, something else must be the matter.

I shall of course do a clean install of 2006, when I do it. Don't like junk floating about, even if it does no harm Plenty of data on the Linux partition. All can be zipped and stashed in a Windows directory, but will take time and must be done systematically. The really important stuff is of course backed up on CD or on the two e-mail accounts I have just for this purpose.

Thanks for everything. I'll be back, though, never fear.

Anyone still here? Ian? Devries? I've downloaded 2006 and installed it over 10.1. Apart from the fact that the icons and program names are all over the place, not together, I'm faced with the same old problem: I go around in circles when I try to have my Ethernet card recognised.

Was the card detected OK with Mandriva 2006? If you go into System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake, does it show up, and is a module loaded against it?

I'll check, Ian, when I go into 2006. All I can say now is that eth0 shows up OK on booting.

I shall have to do a clean install if I can't get the crazily scattered icons and program names on the desktop back into order. Maybe the LAN card trouble will magically go away then.

Here goes, Ian. HardDrake said "Ethernetcard: (null)" and "Module: unknown".

I backed up all the data I wanted to keep and then did a clean install. At the summary screen, when I tried to set up networking and Internet or whatever it was called, the "Manually install driver" screen came up. When I clicked on OK, I went straight out of Mandriva: that is, white text on a black ground. I went back in and set up one of my two printers and got the desktop to look something close to the way I like it. I'd asked for such of the software on the 3 CDs as I wanted to be installed. It shouldn't be a problem installing what I have in tar.gz form, but the RPMs I have are for 10.1 and probably will not fit in 2006. I deliberately did not go into networking because I feared crashing the machine again. It's almost 3 in the morning and I'm just too tired to go on. Will resume harassing you after I've had some sleep and put away a spot of breakfast.

Hello payasam.

I hope that when you were selecting the rpm packages to install that you took care to select the kernel-source that matched your kernel as well. You mention that you have some saved tar programs. You can be certain that there are more uptodate rpms on your 3 CD-roms than the tarred programs you have so I think you can safely dump the tars.. They really are the hard way to do package installs.

A quick way to find what kernel version you are using is to just open KDE Control Centre and it displays that on the opening page. Of course to check if a kernel-source is installed, again just open MCC------->Software Management----------->Look at installed software and uninstall software packages ........... just scrowl through and see if the two match. There really no need to do any of this checking via the Cli in a console.

I hope this at least a small help to you.

Cheers. John.

Are you still running with the kernel 2.4. I hope you realise that if you open MCC-----------> Boot------>Set up how the system boots -------> Next -------> Modify that you can select the alternative kernel that matches your kernel-source quite easily and again no cli. You can actually see what you have and how to change it.

Then you need to reboot to use the change of kernel.

Also are you using adsl ??? It sounds like you are and trying to set a lan arrangement and if that is the case then you must not select adsl in the network setup procedure, you select lan instead even though you may be using an adsl connection. I know it sounds contradictory but there it is . :D

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

John, I have not so far installed any software other than packages which came on the three CDs (written from downloaded ISOs) of Mandriva 2006. I should imagine there won't be any kernel incompatibility problems. I was speaking of RPMs downloaded earlier, when I was on 10.1. As for the tarred stuff, I pulled it in because no RPMs were to be had. Before I install any of it, I shall check pbone for later versions. As it happens, only one tarred program has given me trouble -- and very little trouble. The service provider specified that I should have a LAN card installed, and its man who set up my connection brought along an ADSL modem. Before I installed 2006, I tried the ADSL option in 10.1. No damn good: I didn't have the information that was asked for. In Windows, from which I am now connecting, there is no mention of the ADSL fellow. So it's the LAN option or nothing.