Ethernet LAN card with MDK 10.1 [solved]

payasam

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will need to get out of Windows and into Linux before I can do that. In the mean time, here's some stuff which may or may not tell you something.

* Added a line each to modprobe.preload and modprobe.conf. I had added these earlier as well but had then removed them.

* Added the four dhcp lines to ifcfg-eth0. These too had been added earlier. When they did nothing, I replaced them with the entries of your file. When that did nothing, I disabled the file.

* An interactive reboot gave

- network parameters Yes

- loopback interface Yes

- interface eth0 Failed

(No other “failed”)

* Without changing anything, I did a modprobe 8139too, following which ifconfig -a gave much the same output as before.

* Another interactive reboot was the same as the one above, with these added

- udev Yes

- iptables Yes

That is to say, interface eth0 was again marked “Failed”.

Here we are:

/sbin/ifup: line1: CODE: command not found

/bin/true

8139too device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

-------

The "does not seem to be present" bit is exactly what I got earlier.

You think it might help to put in a driver? I have two. The one which came with the card has one corrupted TXT file, so there's a chance that the other files in the package too are broken. The other one seems clean, but I don't know what to do about the Makefile.

Normally, it's just a case of doing

make

make install

and then modprobing the driver on completion of installation. It should normally tell us what the name of the driver is, or in the notes at least on what to do after installation.

Does the output of ifup eth0 tell you anything?

As for the driver, it comes with a readme which speaks of putting things into the makefile, about locations and paths, and so on. All beyond me. Is there any way I can send you the quite small zip file so you make sense of it?

OK to call you Ian rather than Ianw, which seems somehow improbable? And by the way, if 1974 represents year of arrival on planet, this joker you're helping is two dozen years older than you. Never easy to guide the senile.

Sure, please do call me ian. Either is fine :P

The ifup tells me that the network card isn't linked to the 8139too, or that there is some sort of issue with detection. One thing to double check, go into your BIOS and look for an option called Plug and Play OS. If this is set to OS, change it to the other option, maybe disabled, so that the OS is not set to control Plug and Play devices. The other option allows it to be controlled by the BIOS and may explain the lack of being able to get it to work. If this doesn't yield results, we can then go with the install of the driver with the file you want to send.

Sure, pm me and I'll give you my email address to send the file to, and I'll check it out and get back to you with a set of instructions for installation.

I do wish, Ian, that you'd keep your tongue in the right place, emoticonally speaking.

I'm lost. I thought the 8139too *was* the network card.

Will look into the BIOS matter. Now to figure out how to PM you.

The 8139too is the module that is effectively a driver that allows us to use the network card.

If you look to the left, there is my monkey picture, and underneath a "pm" button. If you click this, you can send me a pm, and I can then reply with my email addy.

Even more lost in the maze. The "PM" button is *above* the monkey, not below. When I clicked it, I got the impression that I was sending a message not to you but to myself. So clicked ianw1974 and sent message from there. Seemed to me I could have attached the file as well. Anyhow, if you don't get the message, I'm payasam@ricmail.com. Mail checker means no fear of spam.

File sent, Ian.

What you say about P&P is not entirely clear to me, since "the other option" is used twice and I can't make out which is which. Went into the BIOS a while back. At "Plug and Play OS Installed?" there was a "No". I changed that to a "Yes", but it could be that that's the opposite of what you said I should do.

I've checked the contents, and what you need to do is this. Edit the Makefile and change the line so it looks like below:

NEW_INCLUDE_PATH = /usr/src/linux/include/

Make sure your kernel-source is installed before this. First, do uname -a, this will show your current kernel version. Then check if you already have your kernel-source installed by:

[ian@esprit 8139]$ ls -l /usr/src
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  18 Feb 19 19:48 linux -> linux-2.6.12-17mdk/
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root 760 Feb 25 12:31 linux-2.6.12-17mdk/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 776 Jan 31 16:27 nvidia-8178-4.1.20060plf/
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root 168 Jan 31 13:37 RPM/

As you can see I have my kernel-source installed. The directory /usr/src/linux points to the linux-2.6.12.17mdk directory. This is correct. If nothing like this is listed, then:

urpmi kernel-source

and it will ask a choice of three. Don't choose mutimedia or stripped options. Choose the other, normally kernel-source-2.6.12.12mdk unless you have urpmi sources configured, then it will download from the internet. This is based on using Mandriva 2006, so the version might be different if you're running 10.1 or LE2005.

Afterwards, just make the driver by:

make
make install

and that should be it.