Ethernet LAN card with MDK 10.1 [solved]

payasam

No joy, Ianw. After a modprobe 8139too, lsmod | grep 8139too gave:

8139too 20928 0

mii 4224 1 8139too

In MCC, when I selected 8139too, I found myself in the same old Manually Load Driver - Autoprobe loop. In the list of hardware, the ethernet adapter had the details I put in post 33.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, module is loaded. What is the output of an ifconfig -a after the module has been loaded?

It seems mcc isn't going to configure the connection, so we'll have to do it all manually.

Suggest adding 8139too, to /etc/modprobe.preload that way when you reboot, it automatically gets loaded. Don't type modprobe before it, just type 8139too at the bottom of this file.

If you only have one ethernet card in your machine, then add this to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias eth0 8139too

then reboot, and check an ifconfig -a to see what we get, and post back so I can see if we are getting closer.

I didn't do an ifconfig -a, but I shall do it after making the two additions. I have only one ethernet card.

Would I be wrong to assume that I shall be connected to the Net when I boot up (assuming the modem is switched on)? I have so far been connecting only when I need to. It isn't a question of expense -- my last account was the unlimited kind and the new one is the same. I just don't like keeping things active when they're not needed. I should think security issues too would be involved.

But getting connected any which way is the first priority.

I'm normally always connected as it goes through router. But yes, to disconnect is safer especially with modems.

Your connection can be started at boot, or you can do it manually too.

Ianw, here's what ifconfig -a gave after I added a line each to the two files and rebooted:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:336 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:336 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:24150 (23.5 Kb) TX bytes:24150 (23.5 Kb)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4

NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

RX and TX bytes are different from the last time, but all else looks to be the same.

Disabling silly smilies this time.

OK, we just need to configure a basic ifcfg-eth0 file. Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (create if doesn't exist) and put this contents:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

this will create basic lan connection to find dhcp ip address. Otherwise, use mine below to assign static ip, and then reboot, and see if you have a device when typing ifconfig -a.

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.1.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.1.1.0
BROADCAST=10.1.1.255
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=10
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
IPV6TO4INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

and then see if it works/shows up. Don't worry about anything happening, this is just to test the connection will work.

Heavens, Ianw, you can't possibly have had all this in your head. Whether or not it works, I wouldn't know how to thank you.

I seem to have a static IP: 220.225.188.21 has come up every time I've checked. I assume this should go in the IPADDR line.

Did you choose the DHCP option? If so, it could be because your mac address of your network card is recognised it remains the same. After a certain amount of time it might connect, but with an alternative IP.

Sometimes, it's DHCP assigned, but they do it so that it's static as well, so coded to be picked up based on your mac on your network card.

What have you managed to do so far? Can you browse internet now?

To answer your last question, I'm exactly where I was.

What does "mac address" mean? If it has anything to do with a Mac, I'm on a PC.

I went to the dhcp option first, since that is what you gave first. No luck.

Then the second. On re-booting, a terrifying red "Failed" and "8139too does not seem to be present". Did a modprobe 8139d as that is the official name of my card. Same result. Changed to 8139cp. Same result. I then realised that the 8139too must be coming from the two files to which I'd added one line each earlier. So deleted those lines. No "Failed", but nothing worked, and ifconfig -a brought up pretty much the same stuff. I do not understand, incidentally, what you mean by "see if you have a device". On the last boot, there weren't red letters and I caught a "bringing up eth0" as it flew past -- but that was that. I now have the three files sitting around, but with 8139too deleted from two and IPADDR followed in the third by 220.225.188.21 because I don't want to mess up your communications even by accident. It's 3.30 a.m. here now and this old man needs rest.

MAC address is what is assigned to your network card. It's an individual serial number if you like, all cards are different. So, if they have your mac stored on their system, they can guarantee that even though using DHCP, you still get the same IP, so it appears to be static.

Anyway, that aside, I'm not sure what's happening now. You do a manual modprobe 8139too and nothing is loaded? What does lsmod report? Seems a little odd that it's now disappeared.

OK about mac address, Ianw. Something like implanting a radio transmitter chip into the bum of a rhino, right?

Post 46 has the output that lsmod gave then. You didn't ask me to do it again, after the last lot of changes, so I didn't do it.

What now? Switch to a Cray?

:P no need to switch to a cray just yet.

OK, so 8139too is loading, so isn't missing. I wondered since you mentioned it wasn't present in your previous post.

Did you create the ifcfg-eth0 file as mentioned above with the DHCP contents. After running an ifconfig -a, did it show an eth0 device?

Ianw, from post 54:

'Then the second. On re-booting, a terrifying red "Failed" and "8139too does not seem to be present". '

MDK said this, not I. I see no evidence, as you do, that 8139too is loading.

I meant that I first tried the DHCP option in an ifcfg-eth0 file and then yours.

Is the 8139too being specified in /etc/modprobe.preload? This would normally be a reasoning for it saying the module isn't present. Also make sure the alias line I gave earlier is in /etc/modprobe.conf. So, this is what you would have:

cat /etc/modprobe.preload (and in this file you should have below)
8139too

now:

cat /etc/modprobe.conf (and at the bottom or somewhere in this file)
alias eth0 8139too

without these this could be why the failed is appearing.