Ethernet LAN card with MDK 10.1 [solved]

payasam

We may have it, Ian. As before, when I click on LAN, I get the single option "Manually Load Driver". Next I get to a list, from which I select 8139too. I have then to choose between "Autoprobe" and "Specify Options". So far I have been opting for "Autoprobe" -- and have been taken straight back to "Manually Load Driver".

Now this may be the key: on choosing "Autoprobe" a notice comes up which says that while the thing usually works, the 8139too sometimes needs options specified. I chose "Specify Options" a while back to see what it was about, and was asked to fill in these fields, beginning each with "0x":

debug

multicast_filter_limit

media

full_duplex

I have not the faintest idea what all this means, but it seems entirely possible that putting the right things into these fields will do the trick.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Payasam. When you open MCC and then Network and Internet then Set up a new network interface (LAN, ISDN, ADSL, ...) you get in to New Connection where you see LAN selected by default in 2006-Official then Next,

what does it say alongside Net Device ???

Does it show some like the attached screen snapshot ???

John.

John, under "Set up new network interface" I am given 7 choices, beginning with LAN and wireless. Then, as I say in post 91 above, I have the option to manually load a driver -- and after going in a circle, I end up there again. That is, I do not ever get to see the Net Device screen you have put up.

I don't know of any options you normally need to pass to the card. I would assume normally these are to do with link speed, etc, etc. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to be working for you.

Also, post the results of a "lsmod", so we can see what modules you have loaded. This is a new install, so we need this list, rather than referring to the previous ones. You can copy this into a text file, and then post through Windows if no internet connection in Mandriva.

Also, post the results of an ifconfig -a as well, so that we can see if there are any interfaces.

John, I don't see how I can take a snapshot at the same place as you if I don't ever get there. I've set out the text of the screens with which I'm faced.

Right, Ian, will do an "lsmod" and an "ifconfig -a" and send you what I get. I've been communicating from Windows all along. Not able to connect from Mandrake/Mandriva, remember?

When I choose "Autoprobe", I'm told that that usually works but *sometimes* this card needs to have the four options specified manually.

A chap right here in India said he'd seen on some forum that while MDV Powerpack would connect with this card, the free version wouldn't. He couldn't remember which forum, or any other details. Know of any differences between the two which might be relevant?

There's no real significant difference between the two, except that it includes closed-source drivers for video cards, and things such as that. Maybe some other extra's but nothing that should affect network card operability.

Then I wonder what the hell is the matter. This guy was pretty positive about what he said -- except that he couldn't say where he'd seen it. Anyhow, here's what you asked for. Should there have been an eth0 somewhere?

[root@localhost albert]# lsmod
Module				  Size  Used by
i810				   20992  1
drm					60404  2 i810
md5					 3584  1
ipv6				  234016  10
i810_audio			 33556  1
ac97_codec			 18156  1 i810_audio
soundcore			   7008  2 i810_audio
lp					 10024  0
parport_pc			 32612  1
parport				31976  2 lp,parport_pc
af_packet			  16392  0
floppy				 55444  0
video				  14052  0
thermal				10920  0
tc1100_wmi			  5092  0
processor			  17876  1 thermal
fan					 3172  0
container			   3008  0
button				  4848  0
battery				 7460  0
ac					  3268  0
ide_cd				 37988  0
loop				   14504  0
nls_iso8859_15		  4224  2
nls_cp850			   4480  2
vfat				   10592  2
fat					45980  1 vfat
supermount			 31956  2
intel_agp			  20636  1
agpgart				29032  3 drm,intel_agp
tsdev				   5984  0
uhci_hcd			   29136  0
usbcore			   108348  2 uhci_hcd
evdev				   7648  0
ext3				  124744  2
jbd					48568  1 ext3

[root@localhost albert]# ifconfig -a
lo		Link encap:Local Loopback
	  inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
	  inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
	  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
	  RX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
	  RX bytes:12332 (12.0 KiB)  TX bytes:12332 (12.0 KiB)

sit0	  Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
	  NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
	  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
	  RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

[edit] Damn. The columns have gone to hell. I suppose I can make up for it by zapping the smilies.

If you do:

modprobe 8139too

and then go into configure your network connection in mcc, does it allow it to work? If not, as previously, create that /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with the dhcp settings I gave before. Then add "8139too" to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.preload so that the module loads at startup. Then modify /etc/modprobe.conf and add "alias eth0 8139too" and reboot. What happens at startup? Does eth0 fail to load this time?

Ian,

Did "modprobe 8139too", then into MCC. As before, network could not be configured: autoprobe put me in the same loop after saying, as always, "In some cases 8139too needs to have extra information".

Created ifcfg-eth0 as you said I should, added one line each to modprobe.preload and modprobe.conf, re-booted.

Red mark against "8139too eth0 does not seem to be present...". HardDrake too told me to buzz off.

I am downloading PCLinuxOS, which is apparently based on Mandrake and is being praised widely. Will run it off CD and, if it works with this ethernet card, may install it to hard drive. The alternative is to get my hardware chap to bring me a different card.

Hi Payasam.

If you cannot reach the same place as my screen shot then it means that MCC and its tools has not been fully properly installed perhaps due to a corrupted install package some where in this area of setting up the network..

Whether or not there is an internet connection, you SHOULD be able to reach that point in MCC. This would explain why you cannot setup the internet connection. No matter how many times one may fiddle via the CLI you are not going to be able to fix it. You will need to uninstall drak.conf, drakxtools, drakxtools-newt and whatever others are connected to these. Unfortunately this has to be done via the cli and the reinstalls done from there as well because you won't have an MCC to do the reinstalls from.

It might be simpler to just do a fresh reinstall which would ltake a lot less time than you have spent so far on this problem.

Cheers. John.

Another thought occurred to me and that is since you are now using an ethernet card instead of the usual on board ethernet, is it possible that it needs to be activated in the Bios. If this were the case it could explain why Mandriva does not detect it properly. However it would not alter my belief expressed in the second paragraph.

Edited by AussieJohn

If you get the need extra information comment try googling for it. Open a console and type: lspci -v and look for the information about the networkcard. Google then for more information or post it here so we an help you look.

You can add the information in the MCC, hardware, hardware, select your networkcard and click configure (see the information about the MCC in my sig).

Thanks, John, but I am on an oven fresh install of 2006. None of the three ISOs gave an MD5 error, and the install itself went without a hitch. I am communicating from Windows, using the same ethernet card. I should imagine it will have been activated in the BIOS.

Devries, I know *where* to add the information, but I don't know *what* that wretched information is. Googling hasn't got me anything, and I wonder if lspci -v will, since MDV seems to think no card exists. Will give it a go, of course, and will take a peek into your MCC info.

Devries, I had to take a break from literally everything. My 83-year-old mother was a bit unwell. I have the full outputs of lspci -v but am giving here only what seems directly related to the ethernet card.

Below is what I got with /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/modprobe.preload and /etc/modprobe.conf set up in the way Ian specified. On booting, the “8139too eth0 does not seem to be present” message had come up.

lspci -v NOT AS ROOT

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 1904:2031 (rev 01)

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11

Memory at e5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at c000

Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]

Capabilities: <available only to root>

lspci -v AS ROOT

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 1904:2031 (rev 01)

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11

Memory at e5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at c000

Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [60] Vital Product Data

After deleting ifcfg-eth0 and removing one line each from modprobe.preload and modprobe.conf, there was no 8139too message on booting. The outputs of lspci -v were identical to those above.

I have the ISO of PCLinuxOS, by the way, and will put it on to CD if the MD5 is OK.

[EDIT] Just back from what you have on the MCC. In the screen shot of "Select network interface", there are two options in front of "Net device": (1) "eth0 ..." and (2) "Manually load driver". So far I have been offered only the second. Naturally, I have to go ahead from there; but when I select 8139too from the list, I am thrown right back at "Manually load driver".

Edited by payasam