Floppy disk

satelliteuser083

What's a floppy drive?

I have STILL one on my main box, and one at my download machine, but both are disconnected. They simply stay there cause I do not know how to fill the slot they will leave empty after being removed.

A small USB stick retalis for less than twenty bucks, and can hold more than 180 floppies... :D

I still use floppies for e.g. creating rescue-bootdisks. Furthermore, I have some 200 floppies around here that want to be used in one way or the other. Sweet memories... :D

But couldn't those 200 memories fit more nicely on half a CD? :)

<offtopic>

Relating to another thread about formatting USB sticks, is it true that you have to be root to format a floppy disk? I only got my first linux system a year ago and since then haven't had a floppy drive. I find it odd that you have to be root to (re)format a USB stick, but maybe it's the same for floppy disks?

</offtopic>

Relating to another thread about formatting USB sticks, is it true that you have to be root to format a floppy disk? I only got my first linux system a year ago and since then haven't had a floppy drive. I find it odd that you have to be root to (re)format a USB stick, but maybe it's the same for floppy disks?

Nope, no need to be root to format a floppy. In KDE, you could use kfloppy as a regular user, choosing for example a DOS or ext2 filesystem. Or you could use the command line and do an fdformat /dev/fd0 to low-level format the floppy, then you could put a file system on it with commands like mformat a: or mkdosfs /dev/fd0 or /sbin/mkfs.vfat /dev/fd0.