How experienced are you?

arctic

How would you describe you Linux knowledge?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How would you describe you Linux knowledge?

• Newbie. This is my first taste in Linux. I am still lost in space.
    • Freshman. No idea of bash and system layout, but I know Konqueror.
    • Sophomore. I have a basic idea of Linux but still need to learn a lot.
    • Junior. I know my way around the filesystem and hack some files.
    • Senior. Hacking config files? Troubleshooting? User support? I love it.
    • Guru. Coding new drivers, bugsolving, bash commands. My home.
    • Genius. I build my own Linux system from scratch with closed eyes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to vote Junior. I've only been using since Feb/March 2005 and I have so much more to learn yet!!!

I keep trying different distros but I can't seem to get the hang of them, so I'm always using Mandrake/Mandriva which I feel more at home with, and know what I'm doing (to some extent) :P

I'd like to go with junior but don't really feel confident today so sophomore. I think I am probably between the two although my 'hacking' is moreoften than not just that, I just see if it works and possibly don't understand why. But I'm learning

I have to vote Junior.  I've only been using since Feb/March 2005 and I have so much more to learn yet!!!

I keep trying different distros but I can't seem to get the hang of them, so I'm always using Mandrake/Mandriva which I feel more at home with, and know what I'm doing (to some extent) :P

Uh, Ian, surely you're one of the most Senior self-described Juniors around here! Troubleshooting? User support? You do that here every day! Hacking config files? (your xorg.conf advice). I'd consider myself a Junior, but surely you are a Senior!

I have one minor quibble with the criteria - imo, bash commands belongs in either the Junior or Senior level, certainly not as high as Guru.

i went with junior. i'd be a weak junior. i've been using linux now for maybe 6 or 7 years. i know how to get around pretty well and see what's going on. i know how to change/edit files that i need to edit and can learn how to as that comes up.

i need to experiment more and just in general be more of a "power-user". i still need to ask alot of questions and still do, hence my membership here.

cheers to those seniors and up. you guys rock. :drum:

voted sohpomore, although I know a bit more, but I don't like those self-called gurus, that most of the time are just advanced beginners, the real guru doesn't call himself one, but just helps others solving their problems

that's why I like this forum: no guru's just a helpfull, knowledgeable and friendly community

Edited by lavaeolus