How experienced are you?

arctic

How would you describe you Linux knowledge?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How would you describe you Linux knowledge?

• Newbie. This is my first taste in Linux. I am still lost in space.
    • Freshman. No idea of bash and system layout, but I know Konqueror.
    • Sophomore. I have a basic idea of Linux but still need to learn a lot.
    • Junior. I know my way around the filesystem and hack some files.
    • Senior. Hacking config files? Troubleshooting? User support? I love it.
    • Guru. Coding new drivers, bugsolving, bash commands. My home.
    • Genius. I build my own Linux system from scratch with closed eyes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted junior.

Been using Linux since Mandrake 10.0 CE, so I have had time to learn more, but it appears that I don't need any more Linux knowledge at this moment :))

I'm not a computer science student, but quite busy in other fields, so I've no time to tinker at leasure (I have only one box), I only learn more about Linux when I have to.

At this junior level I know enough to administer the system for my needs, hack a few config files, etc, but I can't do any coding and haven't tried to compile a kernel.

I would probably spend more time tinkering if I had another computer.

Edited by solarian

I voted guru, just for the heck of it. It was bash scripting that prompted me to do it, since I'm a self-professed non-guru (read my homepage, all there).

I'd probably fit into senior better, but guru sounds nice ;)

In all honesty, I hate coding, so I normally only do it if payed well and they accept that I do quite a miserable job, in terms of code quality (though I comment code well, which makes it actually easy to pass on, and I do make things work). This doesn't happen often (once every 2 or 3 years)....

As for bash scripting, I set up my music server to create a speech file every song change, and surely there's not much to it, it does impress all visitors who hear my pc talking, saying the name of the arfist, album and song that's playing. So I guess they see me as guru... :D

Who is going to step up and be our first self-indulgent Guru?

none. guru-ship is a bestowed honor. it is similar to respect, freely given and never taken.

voted junior because the description of of the newbie is too limiting. but i will forever be a newbie. and i have the sigs and ranks to prove it. :lol2:

ciao!

I AM THE MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE !! ... Well, that's what Xine is saying to me... somehow I don't believe it... Weird, isn't it :P

Yves.

Edit: Hum... Does it show that I'm tired? Well good night everybody. Have a nice day (:lol: for some it *is* the day).

Ok, I did some little bash-scripting some time ago, but I DON'T WANT to be a guru (it's so cold and lonely at the top :D )

and YES this post shows that I don't have something more intelligent to do (it's really boring to watch gftp downloading the complete mandriva 2006)

Edited by lavaeolus

i voted senior. while i will always consider myself a student of linux, there is just so much to learn, i do routinely help people with linux. through my beta testing smart, i discovered a vulnerability in rpm with suse. a race condition. i dont entirely feel comfterable on the command line, but can get arround and edit files just fine. so, i think i'm somewhere inbetween junior and senior.

I went for senior - I've written some fairly complex shell scripts and debugged a couple of broken apps, but guru? Not a chance!!

Write my own device drivers?? I have the upmost respect for people who can deal with such low-level coding, especially when it isn't their job!!

I'm somewhere between Junior and Senior... so I voted Senior :P

Been using Linux for 5 years, and got rid of my last Windows partition 4 years ago.

It's weird though, you usually only know the things you've had to do to your own / friends computers very well, so while there are some "senior" things I can do, there are other things that complete n00bs may be able to do that I can't.