Using the Command Line?

arctic

Do you use the Command Line in Linux?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Command Line in Linux?

• What is a CLI???
    • No, never. Why should I? There are graphical tools for everything.
    • I have not much knowledge about it and not much interest in learning it.
    • I just began learning about the CLI and think I might like it.
    • I am quite comfortable with the CLI and use it on a regular basis.
    • I prefer the CLI to graphical tools and do most things using the CLI.
    • I use the CLI exclusively.

I try to use the command-line as often as I can. But I've still haven't figured out a lot of commands. But as I've posted earlier in another poll on this board, I still have a lot to learn. Lucky for me, I just bought a book "Linux in a nutshell" that can help me out with a lot of commands on the command-line.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss an entry called: "I know how to use the CLI, but since I'm so lazy I just prefer to use the GUI tools" :D

Seriously spoken: both have their pro's and cons and I use them both

I use the best tool for the job.

Currently, at work (well, now I'm home, but I was working on the weekend for instance), I'm doing overtime to make layout for a chip - no way to do this on the command line.

At home, I don't think I ever started a konqueror instance as root - the only gui's I use as root are the draktools/mcc.

Photoediting is best done with a nice gui, so is photo viewing.... :)

For the rest, I'm just way faster for file management and such on the cli.

As for commands and manpages, I like to read them with konqueror.

For browsing, there is a tool called xman, just start it (hey, from the cli if you're going to read the manpages), then click 'manual page' and go for sections - choose any subsection you like, lots to read!

Mind you, this gui is a typical Unix gui - if you want to scroll in a page, click with the left or right mousebutton in the scrollbar on the left - rmb to go up, lmb to go down- , the higher you click, the less lines are jumped.

Actually, the interface jumps exactly the number of lines that your mousecursor is next to - so if you're all the way at the top, and you hit the lmb, it will go one line down, if you're all the way at the bottom, it will jump a whole page.

Very unintuitive if you've never used it before, but smart and nice once you get used to it.

People who don't know this call it backwards and silly, but as far as I know, this has been around since early Xwindow systems, and if you first got the hang of this and then are confronted with MSWin scrolling, that's really limited, and the real reason MSWin needs a mousewheel (as do KDE and GNOME and such). Think about it, with regular windows (KDE, MSWin, GNOME, etc), you can scroll the number of lines that the mouse wheel is set to scroll, or you can scroll whole pages by clicking - but you have to click below the scroll-slider to go down, and above to go up: more and precise mouse action required ergo nasty.... and naturally you can drag the slider with the lmb, but for long texts this may require extremely precise mouse movements. So if you want to go up just a few lines on a long text, you have to use the single line scroll arrows at the top or bottom of the scrollbar, again precise and nasty mouse action...

BTW the middle mouse button allows you to scroll directly, just as normal windows contents do when you grab the slider with the lmb.

There are several terminals (xterms) that also have this kind of scroll behaviour.

Compare to regular scroll-slider behaviour, in my konqueror nothing happens when I right click in the scroll part - why not? They could at least bind it to the inverse of the lmb..?

Come to think of it, where does one file a feature request for KDE?

Or configure this, if it's possible?

Darn, did I just go off at a tangent or what..? :D

neddie:

Also, taking files out of a jar or a tar.gz doesn't work from Konqueror (navigating into the compressed file is ok, but you can't copy and paste from there to somewhere else). So I run unzip or tar from the CLI to do that.

Seems it works fine for me...?

As for the umount, alt-sysrq-s should sync your disks, so after that you can unplug your usb-stick. Not sure if syncing is all that needs to be done, but against data loss, it's all..

Or you can wait 6 secs, there's a built in sync in the kernel, every 5 secs.

neddie:

On the other hand, there are things for which you _need_ the CLI, for example unmounting a USB stick. Sometimes there's a desktop icon which you can click on to unmount, very often there isn't. I can't find a way to unmount from Konqueror so I have to go to the CLI and run umount.

From the app menu go to System>Configuration>Monitoring>KwikDisk. That will put a little three cube icon on the right side of your kicker by the clock. Click on the icon and you will have a listing of all mounted and unmounted partitions in fstab by mount point. USB mounts are added as they come in(usually as /mnt/removablex) and by selecting them you can mount and unmount them even when no icon is put on your desktop which as you noted sometimes occurs. it's a very handy utility for removable media and if you have a lot of partitions that are not always set to mount at boot.

As a fairly n00b-ish Gentoo user, I have no option but to use the command line at is doesn't have all the graphical tools that Mandriva uses. but this doesn't bother me in the slightest, i'm enjoying the learning curve, giving me a sorely needed challenge......although I gotta admit some relief when the emerge of x and gnome had finished ;)

pmpatrick: Thanks for the tip, that Kwikdisk seems to work pretty well. Hope I remember!

aRTee: well I'm sure I waited longer than 5 secs last time I didn't do an explicit umount, and I got bitten quite badly- the whole drive got corrupted. Ngggg. Since I got paranoid I've not been bitten :)

About the unzipping from Konqueror, I've tried it a few times and it's never worked properly for me. Another thing I tried was select a few files (I think it was about 20 files, less than 1MB each) and zip them up with a right-click from Konqueror. Mistake. It tried to zip each of them up separately using 20 different processes, into 20 different zip files at the same time, apparently competing with each other and swapping between each other constantly, locked the whole machine up for over an hour :D Did a tar from the CLI in about a second or two, never tried it from Konqueror again.