Mandrake changing its name!

niti

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seems like a realy dumb name. It's a shame to see such a good distro call itself something so bad....

I understand changing the name, but good lord, couldn't they have found something more palletable than mandriva? It sounds like, well, it sounds like something I can't explain on a pg13 message board.

You know, I just read the press release, and I am now as uncertain about the future of 'mandriva' as I am excited about the next release of mandrake.

Mergers like these often equate to much more than simply adding in some new tech.

I remember when HP and Compaq merged. At the time I was a big PocketPC buff, and I remember the way that went. The best minds at HP got together withthe best minds from compaq, and together, they produced a line of PocketPC's that was generaly disliked by Compaq fans and HP fans apart.

Maybe I'm making too much of all this, but somehow, changing the name makes this feal less like buying out a company to take some tech, and a lot more like another bad corporate merger.

Edited by VeeDubb

i ask myself.... which name will this board have then? will it change its name (and http direction) to www.mandrivausers.org? or is there something else anon and company have in the back of their mind? :unsure:

All the posters at OSNews and Slashdot, as well as (apparently) the posters at Mandrake Cooker, absolutely hate the new name and are laughing at it.

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=10231

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/04/07/1...tid=147&tid=163

MandrakeLinux the product is a fine distro. But MandrakeSoft the company has zero marketing sense, unfortunately.

"Mandriva" sounds like:

Man dribble - you get the gist

or

Man diva - or cross dresser / transvestite

or

some sort of tropical disease

In any case, the name "Mandriva" does not seem to conjure up any kind of positive image in one's mind.

I want to put a positive spin on this, but I just can't. "Mandriva" is a horrible name.

If they were going to merge the names Mandrake and Connectiva, it would perhaps make more sense to go with something like ConnectDrake, or DrakeConnect. Not that those are great, but they are most certainly a big improvement over "Mandriva".

Jeff, you got my point exactly! Man Dribble, bleck.

I also agree that they don't have enough marketing sense to pour piss out of the commercial boot.

On what planet, do you take a well established, reasonably successful product, and change the name without lot's and lot's of public discussion? I can't imagine what they were thinking.

So, do you guys think that Mandrake Limited Edition 2005 (another stupid name) will still be called mandrake, or do you think they'll have time to change the name to ManDribble?

I don't like the name either for all of the above reasons, but were looking at it from a English language point of view. The Distro is international and who can guess what it sounds like in 300 or so other languages ??

Whats in a name anyway?

Guest brunog

For anyone with a decent knowledge of English and Anglo-Saxon culture, the choice of Mandriva is a disaster.... OK maybe one can find some names that are even worse, but there are plenty of good names! Even conectiva is way much better.

And also, as a French, I find Mandriva terribly ugly.

If their "marketing" dept is so bad, they would simply do much better without any marketing dept at all.

I like Mandrake very much, but I am disguted by the way they are heading (capitalisation/ stock exchange, Anglo-Saxon type of management, marketing... and all of that in a terrible manner).

Well let still give them a last chance, see if a good product comes out of the awful name they chose. Let see if Mandrake's and Conectiva's child, although born under a curse, can overcome this doom and achieve a succesful merge of the rpm and apt/debian realms. Only then will I forgive his father for this awful, cursed name.

Mandrake has a future, cause eyecandy and ease of use is all that counts in the market. Of course the new name is slightly silly, and 10.2/2005 limited a bughouse deluxe, but it ain't easy to persuade a noob jumping onto a serious distro (Slack, or Arch for bleeding edge... even Ubuntu might be a tad too cryptic for most of them).

A pity..

I agree with the top posters. Mandriva really seems one of the worst choices, though ManConnect would have been even worse. Still, they could go with ConnectDrake or something simmilar.

p.s. I'm from a non-english speaking country and still 90% of users use english language versions.

Edited by solarian

Whatever they call it, I'm glad to Diskdriva now detects my card reader properly. If only XFdriva would stop changing my conf file to use the nv driver when I'm upgrading to a new NVidia driver. And shouldn't that be XOdriva? It's also good to see drivaconnect with rudimentary ndiswrapper support. One thing is clear, Mandriva Linux 2005 Limited Edition will be a solid release.

_________

$ man driva

No manual entry for driva