200gb hd question hmmmm?

Mandriva-user

Don't get me wrong, I"ve got a 40g in this box and another 40 in the server and I would like to increase the size of that one, if I had the spare cash.

But with these monster drives I have to wonder how many people are just installing the OS on one big arse partition and not breaking it down into smaller more logical partitions.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong

dont worry, i didnt. i was also merely pointing some of my opinions.

i gnash my teeth when i see a (windows) partition spanning more than 5 GB. and then they will complain that their system is slowing down after some use! when i try to teach them the benefits of splitting down a partition (wear and tear, defragmentation time, data encapsulation, etc.) i only end up wasting my breath and being frustrated (well most of the time).

ciao!

...which makes them a rather expensive purchase for a University Student.

i know the feeling. i was one of the first to have a computer in our batch (a speed demon Pentium 166 with 16MB ram!!!) as a gift from my parents for finishing high school with, lets just say, good standings. when i graduated from college, nothing has changed because i cannot save enough to buy a single accessory (cheap speakers dont count) while my batchmates were sporting Pentium II 3?? machines with whooping 128MB ram. :(

the first upgrade that i did with my second paycheck was to buy a larger harddisk because 2.1GB wasnt cutting it anymore for me and my brother. hopefully you can quickly get a job when you finish school. :)

ciao!

20GB small!!

I've only got 6GB. The Cheapest new HD's I can get in NZ cost NZ$140 which makes them a rather expensive purchase for a University Student.

Wow another New Zealand user, what with Paul, you & me that makes like 3 of us (i have a uni degree too).

Soon we shall take over this board Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :twisted:

Yes it's hard to buy computer components when at uni, the subjects can be interesting but the pay really sux!. So you get a job after thats usually boring but the pay is better.

i have a uni degree too

:cry: I feel so stoopid ........

DON'T LOOK AT ME ..... I'M HIDEOUS !!!!

So you get a job after thats usually boring but the pay is better.

that's what I did, instead of going to uni

I found a use for that much. Trying to convert DV tape onto the computer and about 5 minutes of footage takes up 1Gb!!

I have about 6 hours I need to edit and sort out. Of course it could be pr0n footage.

(Why is it spelt pr0n? I'm just a little sheep)