200gb hd question hmmmm?

Mandriva-user

The 200 gb hd question is will recognize Mandrake9.0 and Red hat 8.0 will it ?

Thank you for your big help.

Ciao mandrake-user

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't you know as soon as you started partitioning /, /usr, /tmp, /home, etc???

maybe you want to know before you buy it... that would make more sense.

I'd buy the friggin thing... 200gb...Sweet.. I have 120gb... I thought I was the big man on the block... That didn't last very long.

just don't decide to give anything using FAT16 filesystem a try-you'll end up with 100 2-gig partitions.

2 gigs used to be sooooo much...man were those the days.

Now 2 gigs can be a single game

ut2003 = 2.7 gig

I remember my first PC, Amstrad 464. Feel like playing a game, right in goes tape wait half an hour listening to some interesting sounds and watch the screen flash a full 16 colours. When and if it loads game on.

Now I can store ALL the games I ever had on my PDA, they now play better, faster and have more colours.

What size will drives be in a years time?

Back to the subject, do be careful about BIOS. I feel into that trap earlier this week. A new 60gig that just would not boot. Ended up the board just didnt like technology that was only a year older.

What the heck would you do with a 200gig drive anyhow? Certainly not have it one big 200g partition I trust.

I remember a common saying like this during my college days. Somebody who is buying 2.1GB HD drives are sure to get a lot of 'what are you going to do with a 2 gig drive? are you setting up a server?!?!'. and that was only about five or six years ago. what a great leap the technology is taking the computing industry. :smile:

ciao!

It's not great technology.. it's great bloat.. Like it or not, the capabilities of modern hardware surpass most software, so people can create more features, more eye candy, more stuffs, just to fill in the empty space.

Not that I have dislikes of features and eye candy mind you, but there are some things that with a bit of thought or ingenuity, can be make smaller or more efficient.

I think 2 gig is still enough for a typical internet station / office computer. I can install win9x with complete office 9x / 2k package and internet apps in under 2 gigs. Win2k eats hd space from around double digit mb in 9x to middle triple digit mb. I believe XP bloated it up even further. I still think 2 gigs is still enough for a full fledged linux workstation, as long as you use only lighter WM and put just one application for each purpose. A complete linux with XFree, IceWM, openoffice, and mozilla should be doable in 2 gigs, I think.

point taken. and although i still have around 20GB laying unused in my system back home, having enough room to play around with some tools/apps/source codes is great without of having to choose which files could be archived for the moment so new potential useful app could fit in your system.

i still think the technology is good but technology is like a sword. its up to the user how it is used. :)

ciao!