SATA hard drive not found

kenton

Which version of mandrake are you trying to install? You will need a version with the 2.6 kernel for sata support. Mdk10 was the first to use a 2.6 kernel. However, there have been substantial revisions to the sata drivers in later 2.6 kernels. If you can't get mdk10 to work try mdk10.1-ce since it has a later 2.6 kernel.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried mdk 10.1 comm. version. Unfortunately it does not support sata drives (i875 chipset). Really it is very weird, that sata drives have been existing 1 year ago in the pc market, but no support for this standard in eighter linux distro. It seems , that we have to take in consideration that, there is an IT gap between microsft and linux world. One of them correctly handles the various pc-related standards, the other does the same thing few years later. This is why the community can not apply it in the public services, self-governments, municipals etc. I would like to recommend the next for Mandrakesoft :

Develope Mandrake linux more seriously. Push this relativly cheap fantastic product to the real community all over the world, and sell it for only 40 us $. People are disposed to buy such cheap and useful product, than geting a half, fully-buggy product, for free charge. The above mentioned 40 us $ is reasonable by linux fans. Especially if Mandrakesoft will release new version every 18 months, not 6 months as it is happened now days.

Hopefully, Mandrakesoft will do the best, in order to make mdk linux the best linux distro all over the world in the various fields of life. Thanks

Dubish Fahd

Hello fahd, and welcome to the Linux world and Mandrake in particular,especially here at MUB.

You are obviously very new to Linux so I will not buy into your comments about Linux. As you learn more about the Linux world you will realise that your comments bear no relationship to the facts.

I offer you this advice to save you from being flamed by someone less tolerant of such statements which are deemed to be incorrect.

Enjoy Mandrake. Cheers. John.

I just realised something weird.

I have a WinXP system running on a SATA RAID config, and Mdk10.1(on a Pentium3-550) can read from this drive perfectly, from another box via Samba.

I have this WinXp (3200XP)computer dual booting with 10.0, which cannot see the windows partition as one drive, but as hda5 and 6. (Mdk 10.0 is on a separate PATA drive).

This is just weird or 10.1 has better SATA (RAID) support or Samba is up to date ??

cheers.

10.1 definitely has better sata support. The sata drivers in libata have undergone a lot of work from the early 2.6 kernel used in mdk10. One thing you'll notice is that in the early 2.6 kernels, non-raid sata drives where designated /dev/hdxx just like and ordinary ide drive. In the newer 2.6 kernels(from at least 2.6.7 and above), non-raid sata drives are designated as scsi drives, /dev/sdxx.

Raid configured sata or pata drives have always been designated as scsi AFAIK.

Develope Mandrake linux more seriously. Push this relativly cheap fantastic product to the real community all over the world, and sell it for only 40 us $. People are disposed to buy such cheap and useful product, than geting a half, fully-buggy product, for free charge. The above mentioned 40 us $ is reasonable by linux fans. Especially if Mandrakesoft will release new version every 18 months, not 6 months as it is happened now days.

It's not Mandrake's fault that hardware manufacturers don't release their drivers for opensource. Besides, driver development is the responsibility of the kernel developers.

Mandrake is not meant to be 'free', either. If you remember, when you go to the download site, just before you get sent to the list of mirrors, there's 2 choices:

(1) Yes, take me to the club membership signup.

(2) I'm already a club member or I"ll signup later.

Fahd

Im sure this bloke is all :screwy:. To make these kinda statements wich are very truly false statements leaves two options:

a. he doesnt know squat he is talking about

b. he is being paid by m$ to make these malicious statements

As you can see from my systems spec im running mdk 10.! CE with a sata drive only and it works like a charm. in fact i dont have that many issues at all with this (pre)release other than the video which is a very well known and documented issue.

So next time before you start ranting, make sure u have your facts straight unless you dont mind to look like an utter dumba$$ :cheeky:

Edited by SpikeyKlitske

1. AussieJohn, thank you for your diplomacy.

2. SpikeyKlitske, please do not engage in a personal attack on a board member. See http://mandrakeusers.org/posting.html, point 2.4

3. Fahd: do not post information which is knowingly false or inaccurate:

See http://mandrakeusers.org/posting.html, point 2.3

I kindly suggest you inform yourself before making public statements on a forum that may offend people who take something (Linux) close at heart.

Now please get back to the subject: "how to get the Sata hard drive to work".

Thank you for your co-operation.

• 2 weeks later...