10.1 iwconfig no wireless extensions

Guest grimlock

Guest grimlock

Hello there,

Where to begin ... I've been trying to get a D-Link DWL-G510 up and running on Mandrake for quite a while with no joy. I found quite a few posts on the net suggesting that both driverloader and ndiswrapper both support this card if used with Marvell drivers.

With the release of Mandrake 10.1 I thought I'd give it one last shot and to my surprise harddrake now sees the card as a Marvell W8300 (if memory serves) straight after the install. This all looked promising until i went through the ndiswrapper procedure again and came up against the same error: "iwconfig no wireless extensions" - iwconfig doesn't seem to find any supported wireless hardware.

Ndiswrapper -i installs the inf and sys files and there is an entry in /etc/ndiswrapper containing all of the files specified in the ndiswrapper install read me.

Ndiswrapper -l shows the device as present.

I am running the whole procedure as the root user.

Modprobe ndiswrapper returns no errors.

I'm pretty much ready to give up on this out of sheer frustration as I'm starting to think that I'll never get there but i would oh so love to format my C:\ drive but without an internet connection i can't make the switch permanent.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

:wall:

Guest grimlock

hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought that i could set the card up via harddrake (without using ndiswrapper or driverloader) seeing as it was recognised as a wireless networking device (new with 10.1), but when i try to create a new wireless connection I need to manually select a main driver and thats where i get stuck as theres a list of available drivers, but nothing i see there seems to correspond to my card or the Marvell chipset for that matter.

If anyone out there can give me an idea for what to select as main driver for this to work via harddrake there's a virtual pint of Murphys in it for them ;-)

Otherwise tonight i might just try them all one by one and see if something clicks

Thanks again

Guest grimlock

Hi thanks again,

Still no joy. I reinstalled 10.1 to clean things up and tried again with the rpm for ndiswrapper .9 and am still getting the same message with iwconfig with the XP, ME and 2K drivers.

I'm starting to get the feeling that theres something else at work here ... maybe an incompatibility somewhere with my MLB or something along those lines, as I'm sure i have followed the installation instructions to the letter and nothing in any of the other posts seems to correspond to this particular problem.

I appreciate your help with this but i think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just buy another router and hardwire the machine.

Thanks again for your help

I may be wrong here but i think Mandrake installs ndiswrapper by default on install which is an older version --- from my reading you can't install the new version over the old one -- they don't play nice. You have to first uninstall the older version Mandrake has put on the computer. Of course like I said I could be wrong.

Guest grimlock

hi,

cheers for the suggestion,

I checked before reinstalling ndiswrapper and though it seems to be present in the install cd packages (version .4 i think) it wasn't installed by default (at least thats what i presumed seeing as there was no /etc/ndiswrapper entry) - i could be wrong here though.

When i tried with driverloader (though at no stage did i have them installed at the same time) it indicated that the driver did not support the device (be that with the shipped dlink drivers or the marvell drivers that so many other users of this card use successfully) - This leads me to believe that this might all be the result of an incompatibility with the Soyo dragon MLB that i use or possibly the onboard Kt600 via chip (as loads of other users of this dlink card seem to have got it up and running with relative ease).

i dunno :-(

did you check that etc/modules.conf has an

alias eth0 ndiswrapper?

I had gotten my D-Link DWL-650 (realtek 8180L chipset) to work with ndiswrapper while I was troubleshooting driverloader for the new kernel in 10.1. There has never been the possibility of getting this card configured in harddrake for me either.

you could try putting something like this at the end of your rc.local file to get it to come up at boot time:

rmmod ndiswrapper

modprobe ndiswrapper

ifup eth0

what does your /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 file look like?

Robert

• 2 months later...

Same soft of problem here:

Marvell card identified by harddrake.

-ndiswrapper 0.8

-when i load ndiswrapper with "modprobe ndiswrapper" everything works fine...I even checked dmesg and there are no errors reported

-"ndiswrapper -l" shows hardware found

-iwconfig shows

"lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions"

-also, even though i did a "ndiswrapper -m" ndiswrapper does not load on startup; i have to "modprobe ndiswrapper" to get it up (I checked modules.conf and the "alias..." line is there

-I once saw a wireless command/program that was used to bring up wireless card...like to turn them on.

-I get this idea from the fact that the light on the back of the card hasn't gone on.

-the card is good...it works in winxp

Tonight I started messing around with all the drivers you can download at http://www.asus.it/support/download/item.a...38g&Type=Latest . I installed and tried all of them. The ones for Win98,2000, and ME just plain didn't work. The ones for XP almost worked...the ones in the "ap" folder load with ndiswrapper but are reported as "hardware found. fuzzy". I found that this means it cannot fully communicate with the device. Specifically, if cannot change the mode to managed...however, iwconfig did report and can change other settings. If I install the drivers from the other folder ("sta" I think) then ndiswrapper seems to install them fine and reports "hardware found" (no fuzzy). However, I get a similar instruction mode send error in dmesg. So basically it works, but i can't set the mode...so it doesn't work.

I think the problem could be the drivers...so tomorrow I'm going to download ftp://ftp1.planet.com.tw/Wireless_Lan/WL-...-WL3563v230.zip and give those drivers a try. I may also try compiling the newest ndiswrapper too to see if that helps. This seems hopefull at least from the post on the ndiswrapper wiki "Same Chipset as D-Link DWL-G510. Took Win98 Driver. WinXP Drivers fails unloading. Tested with Debian testing 2.6.7, Ndiswrapper 0.10, Ndiswrapper CVS."

Guest grimlock

I hope it works out for you, i tried with several versions of ndiswrapper with no luck.

I eventually gave up on this as i believe the problem lies with support for my soyo logicboard or via chipset under drake 10.1, as i found that while i was beating myself up for wireless networking, usb 2 was not functioning either, and while all pci cards were recognised, none of them actually worked (even my creative sound card that i had used with drake 9 and an earlier version of 10 allbeit with another logicboard).

Nonetheless i recommend to anyone having these problems to pummel the dlink support page with comments about their lack of linux drivers (i realise they do have some unsuppported drivers for other models) - it's certainly made me feel better, and who knows maybe some day they'll ship drivers for more than one OS with their products. Incidentally i did get a reply from dlink on the subject of linux drivers - the underlying tone was don't hold your breath.

ok so I made more progress...

I installed the winXP drivers from the second link (mentioned above) and everything went as planned. I also installed the latest ndiswrapper. Now in iwconfig I am shown that it is connected to the "linksys" wireless network which means it is working...sort of. I can also change modes and all other settings in iwconfig now. However, I cannot browse to any pages...I can't even ping or browse to the router itself.

What do I do next?

Yeah, I think that might've been the problem. I've got it working now. All i had to do was add "ifconfig eth0 down" and "dhcpcd wlan0" into rc.local to get a v4 IP addy.

Only problem i'm having now is that its really really slow and it just froze the computer...

dmesg puts out:

"ndiswrapper (ndis_set_rx_mode_proc:588): Unable to set packet filter (C00000BB)"

pinging google gets me 29.5 ms at first then "Destination Host Unreachable" then 25.7 ms and other semi normal times for a while then unreachable again.

Could this be a sensitivity issue? iwconfig shows:

Bit rate:12Mb/s (should be 54)

Sensitivity=-200 dBm

RTS thr:2346 B Fragment thr:2346 B

Link quality 92/100 Signal level: -88 dBm Noise level: -256 dBm

Rx incalid nwid:0 Rx invlaid crypt:0 Rx invlaid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:8 invalid misc :457 Missed beacon:0

(this is after going to google a few times and constantly pinging it)