Ubuntu info

jlc

Who knows, maybe this one will take the cake for you.

If you have any questions, just ask. There are several of use here that are familar with Debian distros and the differnet commands you can use if you don't find enough in faq or debian doc's

www.google.com/linux <----best place on the web :headbang:

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok cool.

Well so far it didn't reconize my keyboard, so I'll do some searching and try later when I get home from school. Or if you might know why just say so :P

-Luis

Well I changed my mind, I think that I might install WinXP , to get my mother used to computers. Then I will Install Arch. The only thing that I don't know about is the boot loader, since I didn't install a boot loader when I installed Arch, I don't know what extra steps are going to be needed. So if it just works like mdk that picks up the partitions on it own then I will be good to go.

-Luis

Just to give some idea about this distro.

Like I said earlier when I first installed ubuntu picked up my Atheros wireless card. Well I just finally got around to updating to the 2.6.8-smp kernel. I rebooted into the new kernel and I didn't have a wireless connection. So I went back and booted into the old kernel. Did a "wajig search madwifi" It came back with a list of "restricted kernel blah blah". One of them was for the matching smp kernel I just upgrade too. So I installed it. I then rebooted into the new smp kernel and bam I had wireless back. No messing around. IT JUST WORKED!!!!

I am really liking this distro.

/me steps off soapbox.

FX

Edit: Oh yea it also fixed the nVidia driver install also. Here is the exact pagckage i installed to get the wireless and nVidia drivers upgraded to the new kernel.

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.8.1-3-686-smp

Edited by FX

btw,

I Installed Arch and now I'm dual-booting with windows, the only thing right now is x.org. But I can eventually fix that some how.... I hope...

-Luis

AI you can install KDE if you want to. Just "wajig install kde". Get the repos for your /etc/apt/sources.list that Cybr posted and within about 5 to 10 mins. depending on your connection you'll have KDE. Only problem I've notice with kde is if I my ac line on my laptop isn't plugged in it will kick me back to the log in a couple of times before it actually take hold and finally loads. Outside of that it runs fine.

FX

It's really nice! Smooth and a heck faster. :headbang:

I'm impressed! The 'Computer' bar is a great Idea!

How is Xorg working with Ubuntu, I read somewhere that Ubuntu uses Xfree86 heavy modified? Or should I wait for an update?

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

From reading some of the Developer stuff, my guess would be you will see xorg in a unstable/devel branch for Horay in November. They said they were going try and push it in Warty, but had to many problems, since it is an important part of a desktop they want to make sure to get it correct :)