HSP56 PCTEL Modem

knight40

OK, I will try this one more time, this is the third post.

HSP56 modem, I downloaded Linux drivers, how do I install these drivers versus windows installs???

When the FAQ are posted, they assume you know about Linux already, ie compiling, etc.

How do you compile?? what terminal or screen do you use?? the run command??

When do you need to compile???

HOW do you install a new Linux modem driver, the one I have is not working.

HOW do you update the kernal if it needs it??

I need to get on the internet usinf snail modem because direcway has no Linux drivers yet.

I need straight plain simple answers to some basic questions.

Is their another web site for Linux dummies?

I already know about creating icons, and using the standard programs, ie office org etc. adding desktop devices etc.

I need some help on the compiling, they say compile, with what??

:help:

they say compile, with what??

first of all, you should use our search tool and take a look at the faq section.

well, what is compiling, what do you need, how do you do it. many questions... compiling is usually building the driver or application you need from a source if there is no other option available to get things running. this source is a "code" written in e.g c++ or qt or... thus you will need some libraries for compiling drivers and apps. if you want to compile e.g. something for gnome, you will need the gtk-libraries. kde stuff will need e.g. qt-libraries and there are many other libs available.

if you want to compile something, you open a terminal. a so called "console". these are in kde or gnome the black monitor icons. if you click on these, you get a command line interface where you can put in your commands, similar to old dos.

every package you want to compile needs a "configure" file in it. if this file is there, then type at the prompt:

./configure

make

make install

if some error occurs, it will tell you almost exactly what went wrong, e.g. which libraries you are missing of if compiling can only be done as root. if it is about libraries that are missing, these can be obtained with "urpmi", simply type in the console as root "urpmi <packagename [e.g. libqt]> and the packages will be installed, so you can restart compiling afterwards....

ooh... its late. i am off to bed. i hope i helped you nonetheless a bit... :D

Hi Knight40

don't despair, hang in there. I'm a newbie, and for months I couldn't get access to the net, I was facing similar dilemas - couldn't get my USB modem working, lots of advice on BBs were very techie and at times it was very bewildering. Some great support, but easy to get lost within the confusion.

I have only just managed to get connected - I abandoned the USB modem and driver installations, saved some cash and got an ethernet modem router - thats the solution, get ethernet. You can great modem router quite cheap now. The best thing is NO DRIVERS to concern yourself with, and it takes just minutes to connect - I can now start thinking about approaching all the other stuff such as compiling, kernel updating, software installation etc etc at a pace that suits me.

I've gone to a couple of those cheap bookshops which always sell old print copies of books and picked up a bargain for a couple of pounds - a teach yourself Linux in 24 hours - it covers the basics. And therr's plenty in to get going with.

Try the Mandrake Twiki: http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/WebIndex

Click on: ABeginnersStartWithMandrakeLinux and it lists a whole spectrum of web sites aimed at the beginner.

Sorry I can't help with your question, I'm at the same stage. But I've got Mdk installed across 3 PCs at home, and can only look forward. Hang in there, and from one beginner to another, if you can, ditch that modem!

Best.

I have a D-Link 4 port router I just installed a week ago.

How can I hook up to the internet with the router?

I have a network card, an hsp56 modem, and driecway 4000 S&R modems,no Linux drivers for the direcway sat modems.

It is also a combo hub/switch which I will use for Linux LAN, and I have already set up for Windows LAN.

:thanks:

What is the typical procedure to install drivers for any hardware?

It depends. If it's tar you extract the tar and go about compiling, if it's rpm, just use the rpm command. Both procedures can be found in the faq's regarding installing software.

HSP56 modem, I downloaded Linux drivers, how do I install these drivers versus windows installs???

I answered your question. faq's. faq's do not assume you know how to compile, install rpm, etc. faq's will walk you through installing rpms, it walks you through compiling tars and will answer just about any question regarding the fundamentals.

When the FAQ are posted, they assume you know about Linux already, ie compiling, etc.

How do you compile?? what terminal or screen do you use?? the run command??

When do you need to compile???

HOW do you install a new Linux modem driver, the one I have is not working.

HOW do you update the kernal if it needs it??

I need to get on the internet usinf snail modem because direcway has no Linux drivers yet.

I need straight plain simple answers to some basic questions.

Is their another web site for Linux dummies?

I already know about creating icons, and using the standard programs, ie office org etc. adding desktop devices etc.

I need some help on the compiling, they say compile, with what??

:help:

You have many questions. faq's will answer them. But to address your primary questions about how to install the driver, that depends in what format. If it is from tar, you run the compile commands which are usually

./configure

make

su to root

make install

If the driver is in rpm, then as root install it with the command:

rpm -ivh program.rpm

or

urpmi program.rpm

The last command will resolve dependencies.

As for support sites, google for Linux Newbies and you get heaps of hits in regards to sites written for newbies. I encourage you to stick with it. It will open your eyes to a different world. It's a great experience. Good Luck!

Edited by spiedra

OK, thanks for the help.

I started reading some fo the FAQS on driver installs before.

I think to get up and running for now on theinternet in Linux Iwill upgrade my direcway 4000 to the 6000 cost is minimal for upgrade.

The 6000 modem will run on Linux, Windws, Mac, etc.

For right now I need internet on Linux, as I keep having to log off and back into windows to get on the net.

Then I can learn from Linux when I can surf the web, without having to log off to windows again.

I have a HSP56, they said it is a nightmare to install it anyhow, so I will just upgrade the sat modem instead for now.

Thanks

I too wouild like to get my HSP 56 micromodem running. I'm using Mandrake 10.1. I have found several threads on this subject and all of them seem to point to this web site at one time or another http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

Does anyone know where these drivers may be found now? As this site is gone or down or something.

Edited by tackettb

I too wouild like to get my HSP 56 micromodem running. I'm using Mandrake 10.1. I have found several threads on this subject and all of them seem to point to this web site at one time or another  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

Does anyone know where these drivers may be found now? As this site is gone or down or something.

Whats the chipset in the HSP? (ok - just found out there not Conexant)

I've just dowloaded and used some drivers from (these are still good B) )

http://www.linuxant.com/

Very easy to install - just told the Mandrake rpm installer where to find the RPM and it was installed automatically including the dependancies. Just remember that when you are setting up the connction to go down the manual path in drakconnect.

They do ask for money though - I paid as I considered it worthwhile to have a reliable set of drivers although they cost more than the modem :screwy:

Some modems have the support already in the package.

They also have some drivers for the Accessrunner USB modems but they're unofficial.

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/links.php

As for finding good newbie info for Linux on the internet :wall:

Edited by Draco Araurlis

I did try these with my HSP (PcTel 789 chipset) It reported that the driver found no modem. I figured that it was because the Linuxant drivers say that they are for HSF (softmodem). I guess I will try free version of the drivers again (I don't mind the 14.4 cap since I am going to use the modem for voice mail and fax.. I tried the generic and compiled it since it said to use the kernel specific rpm.

I did try these with my HSP (PcTel 789 chipset) It reported that the driver found no modem. I figured that it was because the Linuxant drivers say that they are for HSF (softmodem). I guess I will try free version of the drivers again (I don't mind the 14.4 cap since I am going to use the modem for voice mail and fax.. I tried the generic and compiled it since it said to use the kernel specific rpm.

I just compiled this driver, and it apparently doen't work for the HSP pctel chipset modem.

ERROR: no device detected by hsf driver