Shutting Down Computer, from Fluxbox.. ?

jmr0311

Is this possible. I mean complitely turn "OFF" the machine, cause at this moment if I'm working on Fluxbox and I want to shutdown the system I have to switch back to KDE so I can use the "logout" command. I will like to know if you can create a script that calls the Mandrake logout sequence or something in that line. Any ideas are welcome, I'm hungry to learn my way's around linux,

Javi

Edited by jmr0311

The way I do it in Fluxbox is to write a script that shuts down via sudo and then add it to the bottom of mt flux menu.

You'll need to install sudo and read the man pages - it's pretty simple though. Basically it allows you to run specified root commands as a normal user. In this case reboot and poweroff. You can set it up to not require a password so that you can then use it in your script

In Gkrellm, there is an app launcher plugin you can get. In addition to launching apps, you can also launch commands. I have the halt command set in the plugin so all I gotta do is click on the halt button and that's it! Too easy!

I don't use KDM just start X with erm... startx...

I'm quite happy using sudo for my script, I was just curious as to how others got commands that for me (without sudo) are root only to run as normal users. I think bvc runs as root anyway so that explains him...