Great Quality PC from Frys

Cannonfodder

I bought a cheapo pc from frys electronics for $179 bucks (on sale) and am wondering if I made a good buy? The pc is for my dad who is just gonna do the light tasks (internet/word processing). It runs Lindows and boots up fine. Only real question I have is the power supply which is 180 watts. I do not really feel much of a fan back there, is the pc gonna overheat? Whatcha guys think? (need scratching head smilie here)

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4074922

:unsure:

nah, those are great buys....you're just not paying for windows and some namebrand. It never hurts to add a fan or 2 in any box. You can never have too much cooling, of course, with only 180W psu, don't go adding 4 fans or anything :lol:

Edited by bvc

Looks fine to me, about the only limitation with a 180 watt ps would be adding on, it's not going to be able to run a Nvidia 6800 any time soon, but than it sounds like that is not the goal.

Like bvc said, if there is a place for another fan, it would be a good idea!

Looks to me like a great deal....

Capn

The computer will last longer if you spend $40 and change the power supply. I would only do this if the power supply is standard AT/ATX. Otherwise, forget it. Even at $220, it's a good buy for basic computer stuff.

Since I'm not going to be using it, my dad is, I'm going to XP it. At 70 years old and still working, he doesn't have time to learn Linux and I don't have time to support him on Linux :) So I'm going to put XP on with some business software and possibily put Lindows on as well so he can learn it whenever..